Temp Gauge Issues

adamf200

Reaction score
Hi all,

My temp gauge seems to be playing up and I wanted to know if this is common?
Is it lightly to be the gauge or something more serious?
After car is warmed up sometimes it reads correctly at approx 80-90 degrees, other times it never moves from 0 even on a long run and other times it can be showing 80-90 degrees then when i look a few mins later its back down to 0 while im driving along.
If the gauge is faulty i can live with it.
If it could be something wrong with the engine and the readings are accurate Im worried and would like your advice.....
Thanks
Adam

Sounds like the temp sender, not an expensive or hard job, do a search tho mate, as there is ALOT of info on this just recently too.

mine was doing this aswel, like said above just replace the sensor, and its all fine since

stat is generally a bit less erratic though.

Faulty stat will usualy mean it never warms up properly and never reaches 90, or only reaches 90 when stood in traffic and cools off again when you get back up to speed.

stat is generally a bit less erratic though.

Faulty stat will usualy mean it never warms up properly and never reaches 90, or only reaches 90 when stood in traffic and cools off again when you get back up to speed.

depends how it is stuck really. if on the small loop it will never cool enough and overheat up to 110. if stuck on the larger loop it will never reach 90.

it never goes above 90, sometimes it sits between 80-90, sometimes its at 90 and other times its at 0. Never any other reading. I have recently had a new cambelt and water pump if that makes a difference.

i changed my stat a cpl of weeks ago because it never sat at 90 now it does exactly that , however i now find that it climbs to 95 b4 fan cuts in when sat at idle , i was worried about that then yesterday i noticed the temp went to 100 i cacked myself n switched off engine then straight back on with heater on max think this could be an air lock what u guys think ?

when attempting to bleed the system whats best method ? i read on tt that disconnect expantion chamber and prop up then run engine at 2500 rpm with heater on full for 10-15 mins is what should be done ? what do you guys do ?

If it goes up to 90 when stationary and drops while driving it will be the thermostat. As for bleeding the system iv done it a few times on mine all i did was fill the expansion tank to the brim and held the revs at about 2k with the heaters on full heat and let the cooling fan kick in a few times but if theres alot of air in the system id lift the expansion tank up and also squeeze all the pipes to expel the air. Until there are no more air bubbles.

yeah did that as well squeezed all the pipes including heater matrix pipes gonna try re bleed it see how that goes

Lol iv only just seen your post on the other thread never mind the above is good reference. On mine theres another sensor on the same pipe as the temp sensor towards the radiator im sure thats the fan switch so should be simalar on yours. Not sure how you test this though i take it the fans kick in.

anyone explain to someone who knows noting about engines how to change the sender?
Where is it located?
Thanks Adam

as you look at the engine its to the right betwwen the engine cover and the battery/airbox. Its in a largeish rubber pipe.