A3 remote central locking. standard equipment or retrofit?

turnips

Reaction score
Hello fellow audi lovers, this iss my first post with my first audi, so please be gentle on me :p
I'm at my wit's end with my 1998 a3 1.6 sport. I have trawled this forum and other vag forums to try to find out if my car came from the factory with remote locking.

When I bought the car, I only got one key with it, and it was a non-remote type key (just a fixed, normal key, but a NAA profile, not a HAA) Because I only got the one key and because it is not a HAA, I am unsure as to whether is was a secondary "valet" key to accompany an original remote.

I have access to vag-com, and have found that the central locking pump is a part number 8L0 862 257 H with soft coding 00266. Does anybody have any idea from this as to whether it is remote compatible, or whether an OEM flip-key remote could not be coded.
I have struggled to find anything in detail about this pump and am unsure if it has the RF reciever in-built. Otherwise, is there a straight swap pump which I could fit (eg, from a later a3) which has the receiver in-built, so I can pair a remote key to it. If so, could anybody recommend a part number of a pump which supports the remotes.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys.