S3 handling issues - i want go-cart!

Sir_Dave

Reaction score
Website
www.hensleystephens.co.uk
Hi all, basically i currently own a highly modified 306 Rallye, after a succession of 106 gti's. All my cars have had good money spent on the suspension, ie Bilstein Sprintline dampers, new bushes, etc etc and i only ever modify to improve handling and performance ....

I recently tried to be sensible after the 106 gti and bought a BMW 328i Sport, to be honest, it was a pile of rubbish, and the M3 wasnt much better - both have poor driver feedback, and feel like they are going to oversteer into a ditch at the nearest opportunity. i sold it after less than 2 months to buy my 306 ....

I am now considering buying another new car and have been considering an S3 (or maybe S4) as i like small fast hatchbacks, what im worried about is that people seem to think they handle rather poorly and the steering offers little in the way of feedback .... as an overall package, ie speed, tunability, comfort, interior etc they are perfect for me ..

But, im seriously worried that ill miss the driveability of my peugeots, ill regret selling the 306 ..... what can i do to have the best handling possible and still have an ok ride ... i really want an S3, but i want it to be abe to handle like a go-cart.

Help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well the S3 is probably not the car for you unless you are willing to spend approx £1800 on new dampers, springs, ARB's and tiebars.
As for tunability you can get them chipped from £500 - £1000 depending on which company u go with. You are typically looking at getting an extra 25bhp - 30bhp.

The problem i see with the S3 is that audi are aiming the car at to many markets, they are trying to incorporate a luxury car with performance but they fail quite badly with the performance and the handling/braking.

That said if you are willing to spend money on improving it you will get a very good car.

I agree with Andy, if you are a real 'driving' enthusiast and think the BM's gave poor driver feedback then a standard S3 wont cut the mustard...but then again, as you also say, as an overall package , with a few tweaks the S3 is one of the best hatches out there (imo)

Not sure it will ever handle like a go-kart though

Dunc

you can do a good impression of the go-kart, but you need to spend quite a bit

definately neuspeed anti-roll bars approx £450-500
slightly lower springs eg -20 or 30mm £120-£150
bilstein preferrably or koni dampers £400-500 fitted
1.5deg neg camber at front - £50-80
adjustable tie bars at rear to give you -0.75 to -1.0 deg neg camber £300 plus fitting
good tyres eg toyo/bridgestone s03/goodyear gsd3 £120 each

now you are ready for more power and possibly bigger brakes particularly for track use

I think you need to come down to Earth fella to be honest because the 306 Rallye was made with only one thing in mind and thats drving, performance is not terrific and comfort is nowhere to be found.

So with the above in mind you cannot expect the cars you are talking about to offer the same, especially not an S3. I think your opinion of the M3 handling is strange and maybe you are to fond of understeer situations and how easy they are to correct, and should of given the BMW's a little longer in order to fully grasp how well they do handle once you're familiar with the characteristics of them....Just my opinion of course.

If you're are looking for driver feedback, performance and comfort then I would of suggested an M3, but now I guess to satisfy your requirements you need to be looking at Porsches instead as the S3 really will not do what you want, and nor will any of the rest of the Audi range.

I've mentioned comfort in the above, but in order to acheive what you want at a similar cost I would say you need to look at Scoobies or Evo's.