Has my future car been "Clocked"?

bioharry

Reaction score
I went to see an S3 today. All well and good made an offer, was accepted.

Then came the AA data check on the car, i have copied it below so see for yourselfs. Take a look at the mileage and how it drops ~3.5k over 1.5 years.

Are these checks reliable or just a rough guestimate?

your help is very much appreciated!

Previous Keepers Check

Previous Recorded Keepers 3 help
Most Recent Change 24/07/2004
Dates of Previous Keeper Change 14/02/2004,01/02/2003

Previous Colours Check

Number of previous colours1 0 help

Mileage Check: Mileage entered was 52000 miles
(Warning: Mileage data is supplied by third parties, some data may be incorrect.)

There is a mileage discrepancy. For further information click on the HELP button.

Mileage Date Source help
41000 14/07/2004 VMC DEALER
36500 02/02/2004 VMC DEALER
38523 17/10/2002 VMC DEALER
35000 20/09/2002 VMC KEEPER

It looks like it may have been. Can you remember whether the stamps in the service book tallied up with the above in info?
Another suggestion may be to contact the dealer concerned in an attempt to verify it

I'm assuming that it was a private sale? Which car/where was it advertised?

from the above, it seems as though it was clocked just before the 36k service at the beginning of the year

Go careful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have spoken to the seller again and he game me the two service dates:

13/03/02 @ 20,091 Miles
02/02/04 @ 36,984 Miles

so it appears both services were triggered by the AVS system one for max mileage and some for max time? Can this be faked or is the definitive proof it was not clocked?

It seems strange that it would only be clocked by 3.5k miles and at such a low total mileage. Which sources does the mileage data come from?

Don't panic just yet, the AA are not the most accurate check in the world when it comes to mileage, what to do is to contact Audi UK with the car reg and the chassis number (If Available) and as them to check it's service history, there, you will get an accurate answer, I've done this on a number of occasions when looking at vehicles and found them to be most helpful including telling you exactly whats been done...My VR6 went through a similar process whereby the RAC said there was a mileage discrepancy, contacted VAG and.....Mileage was all present and correct along with old MOTs to verify it. So Don't panic yet, look harder and, as my mate says "If in doubt, walk away, there will always be others!"