EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    5th Gear

Status

Intermittant missfire?

hey guys, was coming home from work tonight and my car started missfiring. It was doing it through all the rev range. Then after a few mins it was fine, Then about 10mins later it did it again. Wasnt flooring it, just driving normal. Havent run Vag-Com yet but what blocks do i need to log to illiminate the coil packs?
    Audi A3 1.8 Turbo, Wietec Ultra GT 40mm kit, 3" Full Custom Stainless Steel Exhaust, Custom Code stage 1 remap, 17" RS4 Alloys, Whiteline ARB

2. # ADS
    ADS

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    It may have logged a fault code, it may not.

To be honest dude, if it's on and off, then invest in a spare to have ready.... It will pack in soon by the sounds of things.

Cooler weather kills them.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the reply. Were can i get one from?
    Audi A3 1.8 Turbo, Wietec Ultra GT 40mm kit, 3" Full Custom Stainless Steel Exhaust, Custom Code stage 1 remap, 17" RS4 Alloys, Whiteline ARB

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    Audi, or Euro Car Parts of you just want to get a pattern part.

Genuine ones tend to be more reliable.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

5th Gear

Status
    Dont really wanna change them all incase its not that. Wanna no if i can log any blocks on Vag to nail it if its a coil pack, then just replace the faulty one.

3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

Status
    If yours is an agu you cant log misfires but if its a later engine code you can its measuring block 015-016. http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/m_blocks/010-019.html I have never used this as mines an agu but i think if you have a misfire it counts up from 0 on the cylinder that is missing it stays on 0 if its not hope this helps.

5th Gear

Status
    So what do you suggest without having to throw silly money at my car hopeing to cure it if it doesnt throw up any codes?

6th Gear

Status
    or you can wait until it breaks then you fix it.....

3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

Status
    You could try buying one coilpack and then swap it with one to see if it cures it if not then try the others with it until it stops missing. It would be a pain though with it being intermittent other than that as suggested above wait for it to break completely then it will be easier to diagnose.

All Torque

Status
    i had this same problem when i bought mine (a 3 1.8t too), have you tried cleanin the maf i think it it is? ins the lil chip stuck in the side of the airbox. has too leads that plug into it either side. fixed mine and has been fine since, didint have to change any coils. deff worth trying. hope that helps
    Current :: 17" S3 Avus Alloys w/ Falken 412's, 1.8T, Direct cold induction, Custom S/S cat back exhaust, forge 007p, RTEC remap, Facelift light Upgrade

192 BHP 200ft/lb Torque

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the replys guys. Think you mean the Ignition Amp. Thats on the air box. Will have a look tmr if the weather is ok. Gonna clean the plugs, Clean out the air box, Clean the maf and re-seat the Coil packs. Went for a drive today and it only did it once for about 5mins. Weird. Ive got some special Electronics cleaner that i use at work. Its like a de-greaser so will blast some of that on the connection. Thing is tho, if it was a coil pack or plug, Wouldnt it missfire all the time or evertime its under load?

3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by reptor245 View Post
    Thanks for the replys guys. Think you mean the Ignition Amp. Thats on the air box. Will have a look tmr if the weather is ok. Gonna clean the plugs, Clean out the air box, Clean the maf and re-seat the Coil packs. Went for a drive today and it only did it once for about 5mins. Weird. Ive got some special Electronics cleaner that i use at work. Its like a de-greaser so will blast some of that on the connection. Thing is tho, if it was a coil pack or plug, Wouldnt it missfire all the time or evertime its under load?
    Youve got a point a failing pack/plug should be more consistent. I had a misfire not long ago which only happened in wet/damp weather which was solved through cleaning the connections. It would explain why its random on yours.

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah definatly. Im thinking it the Ignition Amp. Bloody Audi`s...lol

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi guys, i recently had the same problem with mine, where it was mis-firing but not consistently which confused me as i thought, if it was a coil then it would do it all the time. Anyway when it was sat in the garage having the emisions done for the M.O.T. it started sounding like a tractor and turned out the coil went then, had it changed and all is good now, no mis-firing and running lovely

5th Gear

Status
    Coil? didnt think modern cars had coils anymore. You mean coil pack?