Intermittant missfire?

reptor245

Reaction score
hey guys, was coming home from work tonight and my car started missfiring. It was doing it through all the rev range. Then after a few mins it was fine, Then about 10mins later it did it again. Wasnt flooring it, just driving normal. Havent run Vag-Com yet but what blocks do i need to log to illiminate the coil packs?

It may have logged a fault code, it may not.

To be honest dude, if it's on and off, then invest in a spare to have ready.... It will pack in soon by the sounds of things.

Cooler weather kills them.

Audi, or Euro Car Parts of you just want to get a pattern part.

Genuine ones tend to be more reliable.

Dont really wanna change them all incase its not that. Wanna no if i can log any blocks on Vag to nail it if its a coil pack, then just replace the faulty one.

So what do you suggest without having to throw silly money at my car hopeing to cure it if it doesnt throw up any codes?

You could try buying one coilpack and then swap it with one to see if it cures it if not then try the others with it until it stops missing. It would be a pain though with it being intermittent other than that as suggested above wait for it to break completely then it will be easier to diagnose.

i had this same problem when i bought mine (a 3 1.8t too), have you tried cleanin the maf i think it it is? ins the lil chip stuck in the side of the airbox. has too leads that plug into it either side. fixed mine and has been fine since, didint have to change any coils. deff worth trying. hope that helps

Thanks for the replys guys. Think you mean the Ignition Amp. Thats on the air box. Will have a look tmr if the weather is ok. Gonna clean the plugs, Clean out the air box, Clean the maf and re-seat the Coil packs. Went for a drive today and it only did it once for about 5mins. Weird. Ive got some special Electronics cleaner that i use at work. Its like a de-greaser so will blast some of that on the connection. Thing is tho, if it was a coil pack or plug, Wouldnt it missfire all the time or evertime its under load?

Thanks for the replys guys. Think you mean the Ignition Amp. Thats on the air box. Will have a look tmr if the weather is ok. Gonna clean the plugs, Clean out the air box, Clean the maf and re-seat the Coil packs. Went for a drive today and it only did it once for about 5mins. Weird. Ive got some special Electronics cleaner that i use at work. Its like a de-greaser so will blast some of that on the connection. Thing is tho, if it was a coil pack or plug, Wouldnt it missfire all the time or evertime its under load?
Youve got a point a failing pack/plug should be more consistent. I had a misfire not long ago which only happened in wet/damp weather which was solved through cleaning the connections. It would explain why its random on yours.

Yeah definatly. Im thinking it the Ignition Amp. ****** Audi`s...lol

Hi guys, i recently had the same problem with mine, where it was mis-firing but not consistently which confused me as i thought, if it was a coil then it would do it all the time. Anyway when it was sat in the garage having the emisions done for the M.O.T. it started sounding like a tractor and turned out the coil went then, had it changed and all is good now, no mis-firing and running lovely :thumbsup:

Coil? didnt think modern cars had coils anymore. You mean coil pack?