S3 Versus Rover 200 Coupe sleeper

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
this Rover 200 coupe with standard 14's sat right on my *** leaving a single carriageway so i prompted my right foot to the floor after the next roudabout which led onto a dual carriageway.... his car seemed to be moving left to right as he struggled for grip :) by this point i had a 5-6 car lead for which he couldn't close the gap, once i slowed he obviously wanted to make a point a came and sat on my *** again....i just gave him the thumbs up, next roundabout he slowly passed then gave it full throttle to let me hear his turbo which sounded very much like a supercharger, although i presume not as the power seemed to come all at once

overall quite happy as im sure this bloke must have annoyed plenty of people with his sleeper yet struggled to keep up with me :) , he may have stood a better chance had he had better traction but seeing as he couldnt get any closer says to me that he was ******** :sly:

anyway, another joyful day - cant wait to see him in the wet :p

You'd of thought a bloke of 70 would have grown out of that by now... Lol

this bloke looked about 45 say....quite chubby but reasonably normal which i was suprised at, still think it was worth giving him the nod when he pulled up along side.....i was quite smug as i'd assume he will make a lot of people ****** off when they see the skip he's driving

Tim, I had a little play with one when I first had my S3 but the Rover was definitely not standard. It had flames coming out of the exhaust on every gear change and sounds pretty mad. It was pretty quick (pulled about 3 length on me then stayed the same) but I honestly thought he was going to crash when we entered a roundabout. It rolled so bad and he couldnt put the power down to save his life, defo a sleepers.

Nathan

Power wasted
And he couldn't get traction even from a round about. Nice result tho

I sooooo need to get my car mapped so I can start playing (by which I mean driving sensibly...) again....

I drove a mates 220 turbo once... was impressed by the turn of speed in a straight line but handling wasn't the best :)

<tuffty/>

If the head gasket is replaced correctly... they can be very fast engines.
For years the fastest FWD car was a MG meastro with a tom cat engine.
In my eyes the coupe was the best shape rover managed since the SD1

hell yeah tomcatted :)

i would imagine the way that sounded he would have done the first upgrade which is always going to be a metal H gasket on the K series, although if i am correct the turbo 200 coupe was the previous engine to the K series - and will agree they handle like a bag of s**t

Isnt the K series engine a Honda engine.

Nathan

they used it in Honda's, it was defo the last spec they made.....although the K was a newer version of a 20 yr old engine wasn't it so couldnt have been Honda, although may have had their input when updating perhaps

The Rover Turbo is a T series engine IIRC. They also have a viscous front diff so they're pretty handy in putting power down. The K series was the 1.4 and 1.8 and the GTi 1.6 was a Honda D16 engine. </nerd>

From what I remember the K series engine was in slices held together by bolts that went right through from head to block and didn't have a lot of cooling lines in the engine so as soon as it overheated then stuff started to warp too easily.

I'm a fan of that shape too.

Last edited:
cheers Neil :)

thought the turbo was different, didnt know about the viscous diff......this car id skate from side to side though as he floored it, pretty funny watching as it looked like a right job handling it whilst i sailed away without a problem :)

beg pardon, it's a torsen diff (not sure on the particulars really, I just know useless stats and info!)

I know the one with the power was useless in any other condition than dry,one was at the track when I was racing (not on a public road btw a race circuit) and that had superb handling/sound but was specced out

most cars can be made to handle...just need different sums chucking at them.....

K series also went in the series 1 elise, there prone to over heating and blowing head gaskets. Always liked the rover coupe, they had a T bar roof too iirc

didnt they fit the metal gaskets to the Elise version though...a lot more resistant to blowing

didnt they fit the metal gaskets to the Elise version though...a lot more resistant to blowing

Not sure about the gasket design but there still prone to overheating probably due to the water channel designs of the k series.

Hey Tim, a couple of mates from a few years back used to have Nova's that got some really odd looks - off Porsche drivers when they got wasted. Not your typical Nova, I'm talking 4 doors with a boot, steel wheels, standard seats and interior, bog standard beige and the other one was brown except......one had a 2.0 Courntney Turbo engine and the other one was running twin 45's on an all steel 16v lump. You should have seen peoples faces when these 'Granny Shopping Carts' would completely destroy anything that came near them and YES, they did handle (both on billies) and stop!!! Priceless!

Lol....rover 200 Tomcat, nice name, do they come with ejector seats (which would also not work). Another pointless car from Rover.

G

Had to check out prices on pistonheads, this advert cracked me up.

Rover : Mint rover tomcat (grab a future classic)

dat looks da biznisss!!! dat iz soooo fat!!! haha...what an absolute tail end

Scoobs, i did know a lad who had the 2.0 lump in one and the hassle he had, thought it was a simple transpalnt haha....that went so that courtney must have been manic. I know theres supposed to be a 700bhp Nova around here, rear of bonnet flipped up etc etc so no sleeper, also know a vauxhall mechanic who has a mk3 Astra with brand new turbo lump in it with steelies.....must be good fun but you wouldnt wana drive to work in it would ya :)