What to use to clean out intercooler

bengal

Reaction score
Hi all im going over all my boost pipes tomorrow to check for leaks etc and im going to take a look at the intercooler i dont know yet but if its got alot of oil in there what could i use to clean it out. I was thinking of degreaser but if i dont get it all out and refit it it will get into the engine which obviously isnt good. Anyone got any suggestions ?

clean it all with brake and clutch cleaner mate thats what i use in work..

I used a can of carb cleaner that I had knocking around - I was worried that it may react with the intercooler plastic ends (OE SMIC at the time) but it was fine. I found most of it had pooled around the bottom and as soon as the bottom hose was removed, all the oil dripped out over the drive! Carb cleaner dries pretty quickly so there's little chance any will be left inside by the time you refit it all.

If I had the time, I would have immersed it in a large container full of degreaser overnight, then rinsed it all out and then allow it to dry overnight.

Thanks for the replies im the same dont have the time to leave it overnight.

could also use petrol, I'd pour half a pint of petrol inside it, cover both ends with your hands, then shake like mad.

That'll clean it off really nicely, and all evaporate in seconds too.

could also use petrol, I'd pour half a pint of petrol inside it, cover both ends with your hands, then shake like mad.

That'll clean it off really nicely, and all evaporate in seconds too.
Yeah i was looking elsewhere on the net after i posted this and seen others using petrol. Probably get more for your money too.

I cleaned my intercooler recently, after 146,000 miles.

Took it off, gave it a clean with a proper ''Parts cleaner'' at college which uses some sort of special fluid to clean it, but because that was already filthy i couldn't see if it was cleaning very well so i took it outside. Poured some petrol inside, tissue on both ends and gave it a damn good shake and left it for 10 minutes before emptying. Came out pretty black!

then used a compressor with a air hose. lots of tissues wrapped around it so it was pretty airtight and then just let it blow through for 15 minutes. At first you could see tons of ''light smoke'' coming out which was the petrol evaporating, then it stopped and just smelt of petrol for ages.!

When you put it back on, dont forget to START THE CAR AND LEAVE IT ON IDLE for atleast 15-20 minutes. Do NOT rev the car. !

I cleaned my intercooler recently, after 146,000 miles.

Took it off, gave it a clean with a proper ''Parts cleaner'' at college which uses some sort of special fluid to clean it, but because that was already filthy i couldn't see if it was cleaning very well so i took it outside. Poured some petrol inside, tissue on both ends and gave it a damn good shake and left it for 10 minutes before emptying. Came out pretty black!

then used a compressor with a air hose. lots of tissues wrapped around it so it was pretty airtight and then just let it blow through for 15 minutes. At first you could see tons of ''light smoke'' coming out which was the petrol evaporating, then it stopped and just smelt of petrol for ages.!

When you put it back on, dont forget to START THE CAR AND LEAVE IT ON IDLE for atleast 15-20 minutes. Do NOT rev the car. !
Cheers for the info best to be safe.

The intercooler wasnt that bad only a film of oil in there as well as in the boost pipes so i used brake cleaner which did the job. Fixed a boost leak as well where the pancake pipe meets the intercooler thanks to all for your help.