Rear Differential Oil Change

Audiman99

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve had a whine from the rear of my car for a while now and didn’t think there was much i could do. I found a guide explaining how to change the rear dif oil here Audi area: Audi A4 (B5). Rear Differential Oil Change

Should be pretty similar to the s3 I would have thought. Anyone done this and fixed the annoying whining noise?

Also what oil do Audi recommend?

Thanks

It's recommended that you change the haldex oil every 20k miles, and change the filter every 40k miles.

Changing the oil may not solve your problem. But worth a shot. The alternative solutions would be a lot more expensive - new diff or recondition $$$$!

I read on here that the haldex system is seperate to the rear dif?? I have already changed haldex filter and oil last month. If its the same unit, then ill leave it as i cant afford to have a new one or get it reconditioned!!

Please dont listen to everything on a forum......if your diff is whineing the damage is done end of....
Oil is not a magic cure for everything....wear is wear metal is metal when they dont meet properly its foooked....:(

Last edited:
I read on here that the haldex system is seperate to the rear dif?? I have already changed haldex filter and oil last month. If its the same unit, then ill leave it as i cant afford to have a new one or get it reconditioned!!

apparently it is a seperate unit..... although my ex Audi mechanic didnt agree, some on here have actually changed the offending item so it must exist

Haldex and rear diff are two completely seperate units bolted to eachother, the haldex unit being just forward of the rear diff. The haldex oil is the one that you must change every 20k, oil and haldex filter every 40k. The rear diff Audi themselves say is sealed for life as I was tempted to change the oil in mine. If you buy a new rear diff it comes prefilled with the correct amount of oil. The guy at audi said you probably could change the oil if you wanted but wondered how you would know you have exactly the right amount of fluid in there, as it may be that the correct fill level is up to the plug, but maybe not.

How many people check or change the rear diff oil on an S3 and at what intervals?

Thanks for the info, I hope someone out there has done this job and posts their experience.

hi anyone know how to change the haldex oil and filter on a3 at not getting the correct info as pics show a drain/filler plug at bottom 5mm hex but there is nothing like this on mine any advise would be much apprecaited

Hi all.

I've got an 02 S3. Had it from 17k miles. Now got 124k on it. I've had the "locking wheels on u-turns" for 6 mths. It's just progressed to the whining noise. Audi say I missed a haldex oil change and caused the problem and now need new diff. I've got a friend who works there who said just search for a reconditioned diif and we'll fit it. The fact is that it seems the only way out of this is to refit.

So, that said, does anyone know where to get a reconditioned s3 diff as Audi have quoted me close to £2000 for a new one, and won't fix the old one sying the labour is to intensive and won't touch it?

Cheers,

Nik.
senseinik-r28@sky.com

Hi, ive still got the nosie and I think it may have got a little worse. I wonder if you could wrap it in sound proofing to keep it quiet lol. Im def gonna attempt to replace oil this weekend, ill let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed the whine will go.

hi anyone know how to change the haldex oil and filter on a3 at not getting the correct info as pics show a drain/filler plug at bottom 5mm hex but there is nothing like this on mine any advise would be much apprecaited

Is it an A3 Quattro ???? if not you don't have a Haldex as it's part of the 4 wheel drive system and only on A3 Quattro's and S3's

Just to update, I changed my rear dif oil, bought the correct stuff from Audi for £22!!! took about half an hour and after a quick test drive I still have the annoying whine, noooooooo!

Could it be a rear wheel bearing? The noise/whine gets louder with speed and stops when applying gas. Turning left and right doesn't affect it and the noise continues when I drop it out of gear. How do you tell if the rear wheel bearing needs replacing?

Thanks

I did check the rear o/s when I was changing the oil as it was off the ground but didn't get to check the rear n/s so that will be my job tomorrow. I've got a spare rear wheel bearing kit laying about somewhere. Fingers crossed.

OK, turns out it is my rear dif making the noise. Got it up on the ramps and can hear it coming from the rear differential.

I noticed that the n/s of the dif looks like this, the driveshaft is covered in oil!
IMG_0278.jpg

The o/s is completely clear, think maybe a seal has gone? Can I replace this side part only and not need a whole new unit?

Any ideas guys

Allan

Last edited:
I don't know much about it, but the rear diff is supposed to be sealed, have to have it off to inspect it to be honest. But in all honesty, its likely to be goosed :(

Looking at that pic, its strange there is no oil on the diff, its perfectly covered the driveshaft joint all over. I'd be inclined to take that off, which is relatively easy and see what condition its in. Would be good if its just a ****** driveshaft joint! Much better than a naff diff!

I know, was so strange and looks like its been covered in oil for ages.

Reactions: ttelracs
Is it possible that rear drive shaft is screwed and is causing the whining noise? Think it will be cheaper and easier to change that than the differential unit.