Oil Questions

bennn

Reaction score
In my S3's manual, it says to check oil once the car is warmed up? Is this right? Im only asking because with all my other cars ive always checked it about 5 mins after the engine or before i go anywhere in it so that all the oil is in the sump (which i assumed would give me a proper reading on the dipstick)

Also which oil should i put in it? Is it best just to go to the dealers and buy the oil from them?

With my Astra GSI Turbo if i used the specified long life oil the car used to drink it and most people on the forum recommended using the thicker semi synth oil and doing more regular changes, is it the same with the S3?

Cheers,

Ben

i use quantum platinum from deals 5w40 which seems to be recommended all round. i agree screw longlife and just do an oil and filter change inbetween services.

Right. Can i still buy oil from the dealer, or do they only sell the long life now?

i was thinking about this the other day, should the oil be checked when hot or still cold?

i was thinking about this the other day, should the oil be checked when hot or still cold?

Well i remember reading in the manual it said when the car had been running, but surely if you measured it then all the oil would be round the engine and not in the sump, which wouldnt give you a proper reading?

anyone know the sump size, just bought some castrol edge 5w 30 and its only 4 litres? If changing oil filter surely need more than this?

4.6 litre at oil and filter change, as for whether it should be checked when fully warmed up I dunno for sure, only vehicles you normally need to adopt this procedure is when it has a dry sump , could be wrong but think its a wet sump on these engines , personally id say 10w40 semi synth every 5-6k max, long life service is ballbaggery its a proven fact regular service works fine , I run the same oil in all my engines and always check the oil level at least once a week same with tyre pressure , coolant etc etc

Book says 4.5 mine took 4
They sell them in 4L so you have to buy 2 :sly:
Exactly my point to make more profit greedy t***s although it wasnt so bad when i had my bmw 325i which had a sump capacity of no less than 7 litres.

Run the car up to temp, and then eave for 15 mins before checking it. The oil is still warm, but circulating oil has had a chance to return to the sump. Simples.

Run the car up to temp, and then eave for 15 mins before checking it. The oil is still warm, but circulating oil has had a chance to return to the sump. Simples.

Ok, but i cant see how the oil being hot / cold would make much of a difference to the reading on the dipstick?!

Is Audi/VW Quantum Platinum 5W/40 any good.

I dont really want to put a 5w/30 in because i can see that being too thin?

Does anyone one knnow what brand of oil i would get from the dealers?

Cheers,

Ben