easy task now turned into a right pain!

Reaction score
i have just taken off my throttle body and cleaned it then plugged it all back in with no problems, and now after starting the car it now idles at around 1500rpm.... i dont have a clue why it is doing this because i was care full in the whole process so nothing will be broken... i have read up and kinda come to the decision that it needs resetting of some sort by vag-com so i need to find a garage that does it around north wales? any ideas would be of great help as it needs fixing in the next two days! i have now drove the car for two days with it idleing at 1500rpm so i dobt it will re-set its self which iv seen some people suggest....

have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10min then reconnecting,switch ignition on without starting for a min,it should self calibrate,other than that an air leak?

the throttle should do it automatically,you can hear it hum when you turn on the key and yea disconnecting the battery for a while will rest most things,worth a try.

Did you use a new gasket when you put the throttle body back on ? If not, could be the source of an air leak if you have one.

Air leak is a good possibility. And most likely.

Secondly, if you have DBW throttle, you can reset the TB without VAG COM.

IIRC, you can turn the ignition on, and put your foot flat to the floor for 5 seconds, this will invoke a TB reset.

This DOES NOT work on Cable throttle (AGU) engines.