coil spring question?

finesse

Reaction score
Couple of questions regarding the replacement of my front coil springs.

Audi want 78.81 each for a coil spring, the same price as a set of aftermarket lowering springs.

If I go for lowering springs, what brands are recommended? H&R, Eibach, Wietec, KW or AP? A pair from GSF or ECP?

If lowering springs are fitted,
would wheel alignment be required?
How is the ride and handling affected?
how many hours labour to fit a set of lowering springs?

Hi buddy.

First comment is with lowering springs, your standard dampers could be affected. I say could, because it depends on the height you lower to.

I can't comment on the handling side of things, but was quoted £150 all in to fit from Awesome GTI and that included a tracking setup at 56 quid. Think it was plus vat though.

Re the tracking, yes. You've lowered the vehicle, so even if the tracking isn't out, the camber is likely to be, so could cause uneven tyre wear.

I'd do a search for JoJo's comparison of H&R and Eibach springs. Great write up, although he has uprated dampers as well...

P.s there are a few springs and dampers on eBay at the moment buddy... Cheaper than Audi. Depends, do you want a quick fix for now, or are you wanting to replace the lot?

quick fix, cheapest way naturally.

I have Koni FSD dampers l, I heard Eibach are very good.

would be a good combination but the extra work required ......:(

Ah, well if you have uprated dampers, get uprated springs :) Read JoJo's thread buddy :)

Don't forget if you lower it you will need adjustable rear tie bars to get the back end straightend out.

This bumps the price up quite a bit !

That was my thinking bud. Standard springs meant standard tie bars. Uprated stuff meant new springs, new shocks, new tie bars and a tracking setup... Which all in one go = ££££.

Although I have now got to £400 with just the rear OEM stuff going on :( My advice, if you just need a spring as a fix, get a cheapo one. I might even have some going soon, as going for brand new OEM or another option from a kind member on here...

When my front one broke, I was not in a position to justify replacing anything other than just one standard spring. H'actually got a bargain off another kind member, i.e. just paid postage, so that's another thought line to go down!

I've just put som H&R's on my standard suspension and it's made it less bouncy but more bangy (is that a word?? LOL). TBH the front has come down quite a bit but the rear is still quite high and there's no noticeable difference in the camber.

I have some standard springs in my unit

I have the stock springs from my car in my unit...
Like my mates keep saying "well you aint ever going to go back to standard are you "?