Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status

MAF signal too high. any ideas?

Gents,

Thought I’d do a few logs this morning to see what sort of timming pull I’m getting, fairly happy with it really, seeing 1’s and 1.5’s mainly, one 4 on cyl 4 in about 6-7 pulls to redline, but otherwise OK. ambient temp this morning was just 1 degree.

However, I did have a ‘’MAF signal too high – intermittent’’ fault code before I did the logs, so I cleared this code, then did the logs, and the code was back.

It’s an AUM engine with a stage 1 map, jetex filter from bill, and a 3’’ DP/decat. Peak airflow this morning was 182-183g/s on most of the runs, suggesting around 228bhp.

Any thoughts? I’ve heard of MAF too low, but never heard signal too high before!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2. # ADS
    ADS

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    log block 2 3rd gear WOT from idle to redline and tell us what the MAF readings are.....maybe its putting out a high value even though it is at idle for example and the MAF and MAP/rpm/tps signals don't correlate?
    Or it has been known to be a bad connector to the maf.....

3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

Status
    If it is connection related you could try dielectric grease in the connector. I solved a wet weather misfire on mine using this stuff and the maf connection can be fixed with it too. Heres a link about it http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=77582&page=7 not sure if im allowed to put links to another forum but here you go anyway i got mine from maplins.

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    I can tell you what that is duderama...

Nothing to do with dodgy connections, what it in fact is is that the airflow is exceeding what the map is expecting, or has tables for.

My Stage 1 used to do this.

Basically, the map has tables for airflow, and they will go up to x. Say for example x = 180g/s. When you go out and occasionally break through that barrier, to 182-183, the map throws that warning code.

Airflow is worked out on voltage, x amount of flow past the sensor produces y voltage. The ECU uses the Y value to calculate fuelling. More airflow, the more y will equal, until it goes past the point where it hasn't got data on what to do with any more. Thus, fault code logged.

Basically, the long and short of what I'm trying to say is it's not broken.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

6th Gear

Status
    Mine does this all the time too, is it a case of having the map tweaked so that the ecu knows what is going on at all times or is that not possible ??

It's annoying cause my ESP light will come on everytime the ecu loses the plot
    revo'd

Chugger

Status
    Bit weird though considering mafs transmit different frequencys rather than variable voltages. Can you fit an s3 maf on there instead?
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

Status
    so basically, it's so amazingly full of awesomeness that it's too powerful for itself?

That's good news then! i guess a stage 2 map will have tables for higher values than it's currently making.

Airflow has increased massively since it was first mapped, came back from Rtech making about 168g/s with a few issues, I added the jetex filter, 3'' DP/decat, N249 bypass and PCV removal and it's now up at 183g/s most days, so a decent improvement since it was first mapped.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstractor View Post
    Bit weird though considering mafs transmit different frequencys rather than variable voltages.
    ECU just uses a digital volt/ohm meter (dvom) that can measure frequency. Same principle.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Homer Simpson

Status
    so basically, it's so amazingly full of awesomeness that it's too powerful for itself?
    Thats what I would say the issue is dude.
    Homer Simpson

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by leggy View Post

It's annoying cause my ESP light will come on everytime the ecu loses the plot
    Mine puts the ESP light on when it see's exceptionally high flows too! mainly happens when giving it death on a very cold morning.

6th Gear

Status
    You can read so many things on here, didn't know whether is was a good thing or not, lol

Mine tends to do it between 3-4000rpm when I'm accelerating hard in 4th,5th or 6th...
    revo'd

Status
    You can read so many things on here, didn't know whether is was a good thing or not, lol

Mine tends to do it between 3-4000rpm when I'm accelerating hard in 4th,5th or 6th...
    Which would be max load....
    Homer Simpson

6th Gear

Status
    Welly, could the map be adjusted to prevent this happening ??

I know when mike mapped the car I was running usual super unleaded and mike told me he had mapped it to run on V-power, ecu may not of adapted properly I assume...
    revo'd

Status
    Welly, could the map be adjusted to prevent this happening ??

I know when mike mapped the car I was running usual super unleaded and mike told me he had mapped it to run on V-power, ecu may not of adapted properly I assume...
    Only by them I would imagine. Would be worth getting in touch with them and asking the question.

The fuel side of being mapped to run on V Power would most likely be the ignition timing advance. You can add more when you run better fuel.
    Homer Simpson

6th Gear

Status
    Just spoke to Mike at Jabba and he suspects a boost leak

Apparently if I get the maf reading when stationary and hold the revs at 3000rpm I should see a reading of 10g/s, any deviation of 0.5 is fine, any more of a deviation would indicate either a boost leak or electrical problem, though he suspects a boost leak...

Asking where are the common problem leaks I was told to check around the intercooler pipes, they can come lose or split and air will escape throwing out my maf readings...

If I can't find a fault then he said to bring the car up and he'll check it over for me...
    Last edited by Essflee; 25th October 2010 at 15:36.
    revo'd

Status
    Just spoke to Mike at Jabba and he suspects a boost leak

Apparently if I get the maf reading when stationary and hold the revs at 3000rpm I should see a reading of 10g/s, any deviation of 0.5 is fine, any more of a deviation would indicate either a boost leak or electrical problem, though he suspects a boost leak...

Asking where are the common problem leaks I was told to check around the intercooler pipes, they can come lose or split and air will escape throwing out my maf readings...

If I can't find a fault then he said to bring the car up and he'll check it over for me...
    Result!
    Homer Simpson

6th Gear

Status
    I've been wanting to pop up and see him for a while to make sure the car is still running sweet, Friday it is
    revo'd

Status
    interesting test, I'll try that in a mo when I leave work

6th Gear

Status
    interesting test, I'll try that in a mo when I leave work
    That's what I thought, I presume that would work on all remapped 1.8t's, if that's the case then it would be a nice quick simple way to see if you have a boost leak...
    revo'd

Status
    done the test, bang on 10g/s.

Fault code seems to come up regularly now, although I've not had the ESP light. Going to give it a blast to work again tomorrow and see if the code comes back without seeing the light

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    As Said before check your connector, they must be one of the more frequented parts of the car and the spades can go big in the connector from the constant removing of it,
    ive had it on a mk4 golf i think it was the green wire..... replaced the connector and it was fine....

6th Gear

Status
    done the test, bang on 10g/s
    Nice one !!
    revo'd

6th Gear

Status
    Speak to Nick about this Prawn, I got this after having it mapped (DTC 16487 - Mass Airflow Sensor - G70 Signal too high), Nick tweaked the map and it's not returned since.

He explained it similar to what Welly said earlier - which is waaaaay too complicated for me to understand, all I know is it's stopped doing it now. Heard Nick muttering something about tables, could have been the wooden 4 legged variety for all I care ...
    Imteyaz.