EM TuningSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Fitting SMIC's to an A3 1.8t

Hi guys.

I'm thinking of taking my car back to AMD to ask for more boost during these cold months, but I hate the idea of having to do the reverse in summer! Is it possible to fit the side mounted intercoolers from an S3 to my A3? If so, will doing this enable me to run more boost without worrying about things getting too warm in summer?

2. # ADS
    ADS

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    You will have one smic why not go for a slim fmic?

1st Gear

Status
    Oh, 1.8t AUM's already have a SMIC? Is it worth adding a second?...or at least improving air flow to the existing one? Which side is it at?

I would like a FMIC, but don't want something as obvious as that...My insurance if enough as it is - if I go declaring a FMIC, they will shaft me!

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Yes you will have one on the drivers side, under the bumper...i suppose you could put another one on the other side,....so it was still unseen.... loads on ebay too
    my insurance was not bothered about the mods to the intercoolers

3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nick4501 View Post
    Oh, 1.8t AUM's already have a SMIC? Is it worth adding a second?...or at least improving air flow to the existing one? Which side is it at?

I would like a FMIC, but don't want something as obvious as that...My insurance if enough as it is - if I go declaring a FMIC, they will shaft me!
    Iv seen on other forums that people have drilled holes in the wheel arch liner behind the intercooler to aid the airflow havnt done it myself so couldnt tell you if it makes any difference.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    You can't fit a second smic, as the s3 has a different inlet manifold with the throttle body on the other side.

It's possible to fit a fmic that's totally hidden,
    Total cost can be around 200 all in and about a days work to fit.

However, if you wanted something a bit more simple, Turborevs have just started offeringH
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Status
    Stupid iPhone, where was I.....

Ah yes, turbo revs have recently started offering an uprated smic, which from first impressions over on ukmkivs seems to be pretty good

VW GOLF MK4 1.8T GTI BORA JETTA INTERCOOLER KIT - eBay Mobile (item 130445762777 20/10/2010 10:30:30)

Not as effective as a front mount, but much better than the standard item and half the cost!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smell my finger.

Status
    That looks good, no faff and good price.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Nogaro S3

Status
    this is a better link
    VW GOLF MK4 1.8T GTI BORA JETTA INTERCOOLER KIT on eBay (end time 20-Oct-10 10:30:30 BST)
    that looks top, and possibly a lot easier to fit, is there any way of increasing the airflow to it tho, i thing the standard smic is hidden away without much airflow

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks Prawn. I'm seriously interested in getting one of those. Is it safe to say that I'll be able to push enough boost through my system to reach 220bhp, whilst keeping my temperatures at a safe level (including through-out the summer months)?

Is it really as simple as removing the bumper, unclipping the charge pipes, removing the original SMIC and bolting this one in it's place?

Status
    That'll be perfect for 220 bhp matey, rtech remapped imteyaz's car (aum) last week with an upgrade smic, and it made 222bhp and 250lbft and he's really happy with it! Not AS effective as an fmic, but for a daily driver that's not likely to see a track it's ideal.

It is that simple too! Only thing that may require
    Trimming is the duct directing air into it, plus, whilst it's apart it'd be silly not to cut a few tt style vents In to the arch liner

Smell my finger.

Status
    I'm going to order one I think so I'll let you know how I get on. Might even do a thread on it too.

My cars not putting out over 200bhp as its still on a KO3 with a map but I think one of these will fit the bill perfectly for my car. Cant be doing with the cost and faff of a FMIC.

T
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Nogaro S3

Status
    i will look forward to it and might follow suite,
    is it possible for you to do some logs too??

Smell my finger.

Status
    I dont have the kit to do logs buddy.

1st Gear

Status
    Excellent. Cheers lads. I'll keep an eye out for the write-up and will be following suit very soon. Seriously looking forward to pumping more boost through my car, without risking popping it in the summer! Now to sort out my vac leak!

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    ooh i want one!

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    That'll be perfect for 220 bhp matey, rtech remapped imteyaz's car (aum) last week with an upgrade smic, and it made 222bhp and 250lbft and he's really happy with it! Not AS effective as an fmic, but for a daily driver that's not likely to see a track it's ideal.

It is that simple too! Only thing that may require
    Trimming is the duct directing air into it, plus, whilst it's apart it'd be silly not to cut a few tt style vents In to the arch liner
    Saved me typing all that.... LOL
    Thanks Prawn!
    I got hold of an S3 archliner from a breakers yard and trimmed it to fit (S3 wings / liner is wider and will need about 1" trimming), it has plenty of slats to vent from, I fitted it a few months before fitting the new SMIC and in all honesty, I noticed very little (if any) improvement. Somebody needs to do some before / after logs to see if it really does work / add to the thermal efficiency of an SMIC. Saying that, Audi did feel the need to fit them on S3's/TT's....
    Imteyaz.

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Imteyaz View Post
    Thanks Prawn!
    I got hold of an S3 archliner from a breakers yard and trimmed it to fit (S3 wings / liner is wider and will need about 1" trimming), it has plenty of slats to vent from, I fitted it a few months before fitting the new SMIC and in all honesty, I noticed very little (if any) improvement. Somebody needs to do some before / after logs to see if it really does work / add to the thermal efficiency of an SMIC. Saying that, Audi did feel the need to fit them on S3's/TT's....
    Agreed - single OEM SMICs suffer from heat soak very badly.

Holes in the arch lining will ultimately increase flow through the cooler..... which can only be a good thing!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Imteyaz View Post
    Thanks Prawn!
    But surely it won't really make any direct difference to performance...until you increase the boost (which should no longer be a problem, due to reduced intake temperatures)...?

6th Gear

Status
    If anything, I expected it to be a little more consistent in how it delivered boost, akin to driving it on a cool morning, it should feel better - but it didn't for me. Like I said, I never did any logs to prove otherwise so it may well have been more thermally efficient - I just didn't 'feel' any difference.
    Imteyaz.

1st Gear

Status
    Has anyone done this yet? I'm hoping to get more boost added in a couple of weeks, and think this would need to be done before-hand, so very interested to see any before/after comparisons...

Also - if anyone fancies doing a how-to guide, it'd be much appreciated! :D

Nogaro S3

Status
    dont think so pal, why dont you go first and show the rest of us lol

will this be a lot more effective on a car that is already mapped???

1st Gear

Status
    I've contacted the guy on ebay and he said he is getting more in stock on monday. Going to get my boost increased this weekend anyway, so just gotta hope that fitting this afterwards will make a difference!

Nogaro S3

Status
    cool, will you have anyway of telling if there is an increse

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah. I have VAGCOM, so will monitor both air intake temp and mass air flow before and after.

Nogaro S3

Status
    i am looking forward to seeing the results

1st Gear

Status
    Small update:

I now have the intercooler. It seems like it's pretty good quality, but it's heavy - very heavy! There is a mounting point for the sensor, but without having a look at the current SMIC, I'm not sure how well positioned it is.

I did some logs today with the stock SMIC...

Intake temps of stock SMIC were as follows:

Stood still, idling after a long drive (engine hot) - 50 degrees.
    Normal driving - 30 degrees.
    Idling when in traffic - 32/33 degrees.
    After giving it the beans (3rd gear pull) - spiked at 46 degrees.

It was pretty cold today, so I'll try to pick a day with similar weather to do the post-SMIC upgrade logging.

I'm hoping to get it fitted next weekend, but could do with a guide to remove the front bumper...!

Will update on the other side!

Status
    what sort of spec are you running Nick?

My AUM with an Rtech stage 1 is reaching 65 degrees + on inlet temps sometimes! it must be pushing a fair bit more boost than yours. or it must have been REALLY cold when you did your logs. I've not actually taken any logs in this crazy cold weather yet.

1st Gear

Status
    Hi mate.

I'm actually running quite a lot of boost. I initially got a generic AMD stage 1 map, but then went back when we hit winter and requested more. I think it's running 1.4 bar now. However, I think I have a boost leak, as the power seems to spike then die off quickly...Dunno if this will affect the intake temperature though. My idle is a bit lumpy too.

It was pretty cold when I did this though...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Any News?