REAAAALY REAAAALY NEED HELP!!!

greekboy698

Reaction score
Hi there

my audi a 1.6 p reg cuts outs every now and then when the temperature gauge is about on quater. It doesnt happen all the time twice to me so far but the machiene comes up up with an itimitent fault. It just turns off on me when im doing about 30. No-one can figure it out!

ive had new cam/crank shaft sensors and timing done recently with audi parts . Any one else had this trouble?
the engine sounds and runs fine and Audi are gonna cost me way too much to take it there

please help!

G

na i cant remeber the exact code but it was something to do with the camshaft ?

its like i just turn off the key and the car shuts down whilst im driving!

Crank position sensor would make the car cut out if faulty intermittently... need to read the codes really...

<tuffty/>

Random if its a fractured wire or constant if the sensor itself was gone... sounds wiring to me from what you say though..

<tuffty/>

yeh but its a pattertened part so i thought maybe get an audi one?

but another audi technician today told me to get a temperature sender unit and a coil pack and not the camshaft sensor!
been told a million things and im on buget!!

I would go with the answer tufftybloke gave you as it sounds to me that the audi tech doesnt know what it is and is just using trial and error not good if your on a budget. I cant see a temp sensor or coilpack throwing a code for the camshaft. Do you mean that the sensor is aftermarket if so and the wiring is ok then possibly change it to a genuine one.

not sure if this could help you greekboy , but i had a very similar symptom happen on a vw passat 2l 5 cylinder some 20 odd years ago car drove fine and after four occassions that it suddenly cut out at similar speed I eventually traced it to a leak from the brake servo to intake manifold pipe , the one way valve at the servo end had cracked and perrished through time , covered the break in arroldite and cured prob instantly , covered another 50 thousand miles and never had same problem , so worth a look ?

yeh but its a pattertened part so i thought maybe get an audi one?

but another audi technician today told me to get a temperature sender unit and a coil pack and not the camshaft sensor!
been told a million things and im on buget!!

Temp sensor and a coil pack sounds a bit random... faulty temp sensors generally leave the ECU in cold start all the time as it doesn't know when the engine is warm enough to fuel normally... this wouldn't cut the engine out as far as I know... they are usually noticable as a fault when the temp gauge becomes irratic... thermostat would also keep the engine temp down but assuming your engine warms up ok then I would be pretty sure your temp sender is ok... you would also know if a coil pack had gone... the engine will sound like a scooby... but would not cut out....

If the ECU can't see a signal from the crank sensor, the engine will cut out and won't start... if the wiring is a but dodgy then temperature could have an effect...

Sorry I can't really think of what else to suggest as I am not familiar with the 1.6's...

<tuffty/>

I just come out of the barbers , and now the car won't start at all . Hopefully the machiene will pick it up now as the problems constant . Il let you know how I get on and thanks for your help !

Ok so car should be ready today . Went back to some old school mechanics and turned out the fuel pump isn't working ! So either the relay or the pump , gotta check if it has a live feed then go from there ! Thanks everyone! See computer can't tell everything !