Hmm .. Not over boosting but no power from pull off to 2k ??

motfree

Reaction score
Any one experienced this .. Just fitted a mass airflow and cam shaft sensor and used to overboost .. Also it used to be really slugish like I could walk faster until boost came on

Now though its still mega slugish but is not over boosting .. Anyone had this trouble ?? Could it be old fault codes on ecu ?

Hmm good point the one on it doesn't look too healthy but would that affect it this much ? Like really I can walk faster to 2k revs haha ... Ill look into that thread your similar though ?

Hmm good point the one on it doesn't look too healthy but would that affect it this much ? Like really I can walk faster to 2k revs haha ... Ill look into that thread your similar though ?

The air filters just a suggestion as mines gone sluggish again but im gonna rip mine out and run it down the road without it first to see if its better. But it has gone like this before and i changed the filter and it was better. As for the throttle body you need to clean it first before alignment theres a recent thread about this if you wnat to look. Il let you know how i get on tomorrow. Theres a fault code which i was getting for a while about the mixture adaptation 00561 that made the car drive like you described thats mainly down to vac leaks though. Is your new maf a bosch unit ?

Last edited:
Actually come to think turbo went few months ago an took intercooler off to clean it and there was loads of oil in the boost pipe so this would travell up I'll get some carb cleaner today fingers crossed :)

Give it a try as its cheap and easy if yours is a cable throttle try and leave it plugged in when you do it to save aligning it after.

It's really bad on idle too though ?? Shall I leave the car running when squirting carb cleaner in ? Its like the engine is constantly trying to cut out !! Do I need to get cleaner past the flap on intake by the way ??

Update on mine i took the air filter out and it was slightly better. But i also noticed the boost pipe on the throttle body wasnt on right the jubilee clip was too big and had pinched it up so swapped it for a better fitting one and its alot better even with the old filter back in. I would go over all the boost pipes on yours as you said you had taken pipes off and make sure they are ok also check any others. The throttle body would give a bad idle but so would a vac leak especially if its trying to cut out id also check the pipes on the inlet manifold as these are prone to failure as are the engine breather pipes. There could be more to the problem you have but i would start with the cheaper and easier options for obvious reasons i hope this helps.

To clean the throttle body you have to take it off as the problem lies with a ring of carbon that sits around the butterfly preventing it from operating properly hence the bad idle it reduces the gap at idle. I cant explain it any better tbh.

Did you reset the ECU after fitting a new MAF? Disconnect battery for 15 mins to do this. If the old MAF was bad the ECU learning will still have memory.

Nope but taking it back to a garage anyways to sort ecu out .. Running abit better now still seems like it's trying to cut out / running lumpy like it's camed to death haha seems alot quicker and only boosting 0.6 bar

Carb cleaner just put accelerator pedal down and squirted carb cleaner all around .. Left to dry abit and then took it out .. A hell of alot more responsive and not as sluggish still not perfect but a he'll of alot better .. Just need to adjust boost now as there's loadsa turbo lag ..

There will be a leak somewhere i reckon see if a garage can do a pressure test on the system.

As in boost leak ? I have a feeling it may be cammed as there's no lights on the dash and it's running really lumpy

or engine learning getting used to new MAF. May aswell try resetting ECU....
It sorted mine after replacing the MAF.

Yeah a boost leak or vac leak a big enough leak would cause lumpy running. But again could be other things see what the garage say because its hard to diagnose a car without seeing it lol.

Normally to adjust the boost you turn it up as it's only on 0.6 psi :-S
Yer taking it up tues for them to look at cheers for you help :)

I will get in my s3 .. Start the engine and turn the boost up on my controller :-S

I will get in my s3 .. Start the engine and turn the boost up on my controller :-S
I didnt realise it was an s3 you never said but then again i never asked. No problem about the help i try and help out where i can going off my own experiences.