Went into Audi, came out with a £4k bill!!

drfeelgood

Reaction score
So i took it into Audi due to the common problem of the stiff gearbox, or in my case 1,st 2nd and 3rd being stiff, and sometimes not even going in, also a lot of knocks, rattles and noises, as well as the smell of fuel....

3 days later here are the problems

oil leak near the cambelt/gasket (not 100% sure as dont have the paperwork)
Fuel leak from the injector seals (not " " ")
New fuel filter
Top mounts need doing
Both front shocks are gone
Both rear springs are snapped
rear anti roll bar needs replaceing
Wishbone bushes need replaceing, excessive play, (not 100% sure as dont have the paperwork)
clutch is not engaging and disengageing correctly due to wear to the springs, and is causeing not just a heavy clutch but also causeing the gears to be extremely stiff

i have only owned the car for 3 months since buying it from audis so called used and approved, should be getting everything but the clutch done threw the audi warrenty, thats if they accept it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jebus! That's a long list of things that are wrong with it mate.

The good thing is that the car was sold by Audi as approved and an Audi garage found all of these faults with it soon after the sale, so the warranty manager will have a hard time arguing against this claim if the used warranty is still valid. Make sure to read through the warranty for the car, so you know where you have rights.

Good luck.

Wow, if Audi Warranty covers most of that, you are sorted! I certainly wouldn't be near any Audi dealer with that list of work, they will bend you over and rape you blind! :sex:

£4k, for all that? ****** hell that's extortionate! I know it's Audi but even with a new clutch there would only be £500's worth of parts needed to sort out all those problems, appreciate you might not be paying as it's under warranty but that is still a little steep.

With regards the clutch, which/what springs are they talking about? They only springs in the clutch are on the slave cylinder and also the ring of forks that push the clutch plate onto the flywheel but not really sure these are springs and even if they are, if they have worn they would cause the clutch to slip and a light pedal, although difficult to engage especially when changing down, not saying audi don't know what they are doing but it all seems a bit excessive

Sorry to hear about your troubles but hopefully warranty will as you say cover everything but the clutch

£4k, for all that? ****** hell that's extortionate! I know it's Audi but even with a new clutch there would only be £500's worth of parts needed to sort out all those problems, appreciate you might not be paying as it's under warranty but that is still a little steep.

Even though we think it's extortionate, they don't think so, they have set time limits for certain jobs, like a clutch change is 10hrs book time(or there abouts) on a quattro, factor in Audi's £££ per hour rate, the bill can only go upwards.
Plus any decent garage would tell you to scrap the car, if the total bill to put it back on the road exceeded the value of the car, but Audi are happy to charge X amount just to get you fixed up and back on the road, without blatting an eyelid.

I dont think they will be that bothered either as i guess the dealer will do what most garages do which is pay the manufacturuer for what is effectively an insurance policy on the used car - bit like Network Q - that is built into the margin on the car and therefore negates their liability to future repairs - rules normally apply though to ensure they aren't selling a dog only for Audi to be held liable, win win for you the consumer though assuming they accept it, otherwise you might be having wranglings with the sales department

Christ! But good news on the potential warranty.

4K sounds like a lot though, just going through what I'm doing/have had done thus far... guess the clutch replacement is where the costs come in :S I think that will be the issue. Clutch is wear and tear on their terms and conditions.

is it wear and tear? i always thought clutches were expected to last for a few days/weeks after sale but then i can see why not if you get a noob who rides the clutch after picking it up

I thought this too, i have only done 2,500 miles since i got the car 3 months ago. I had a few words with the supplying dealer, no surprise there not gonna do anything or even offer money off the clutch repair " when we looked at the car and MOT'ed it nothing was wrong bla bla bla" spoke with audi warrenty and in fact the guy who is handleing the claim, and there going to cover all the work apart from the clutch which is good. Thank god for that warrenty! Spoke with my freind about replaceing the clutch, vag guy, £800.91, thats clutch and flywheel etc with 9 hours labour, £40 per hour, Audi is £100 per hour, 11hr job and the clutch part alone is £633
But i'am a bit hesitant about this used and approved from audi nonsence. As i disscussed with the guy, sounds like the car was sold on a budget, and to think the list price was 10k!!!, thank god i only paid 7800 for it., still expensive mind

Clutch and flywheel by Audi comes in at £1300 or thereaboouts so at £800 thats a bargain compared to Audi, but Audi will warrantee the work which is a consideration, so check what your guy will warrantee. Hope you get it sorted.

clutch from Europarts is only £350 including flywheel iirc....i recently paid £1300 for tow to garage, selector fork repair and new clutch flywheel whilst it was off. I know the parts price as i supplied them and they are the exact same LUK bits that Audi supply

Indeed he was talking about the parts being LUK, while not audi branded on the box, out of the box they are the same as what audi uses. More so its sold as a complete kit, clutch and flywheel and a few other bits, however audi mark up each individual peice. I dont think its mega urgent getting it done, however the gearbox selection and clutch pedel seem to be getting stiffer as the days role on.
I do need the rest of the crap being done, as going over a bump sounds like someone jumping on an old spring matress

Indeed thats what i was thinking, its warrented work. But my freind owns and runs a genunie bussiness so there will be some warrenty there on the work.

Last edited:
It should all get replaced, all of that cannot go wrong in 3 months without the dealer noticing it. Especially the suspension components!

Clutch being the exception here though.

wow this car sounds like its had a hard life from previous owners...and you say they wanted £10k for it!?! thats outrageous!! how on earth did they justify that price tage considering the amount of work it needs??

sorry i dont mean to offend you or your car mate

I didnt buy it for 10k thank god. The car does deserve some offending considering all this crap. I mean its still driveable, to be honest i dont really feel much wrong, just a lotta noises when going round bends and over bumps lol the car has such a full comprehensive audi service history, inlcudeing hadex oil change etc, so all those boxes were ticked. I personaly think they got the car outvfor sale to a budget. For instance they did the cambelt, but not the water pump, which defies sence really

phone up audi custormer care and get them involved. I'd push to have Audi change the clutch for free, considering the amount of other work required. Maybe say your willing to pay for the part but the fitting should be undertaken for free, who says theres not more damage done to the gear box because of these springs? I had my clutch and flywheel changed recently due to the slave cyclinder failing, the clutch pedal was stiff before but it was never any effort to change or engage gear, a worn clutch wouldnt make it hard to change, it would just slip when you relased the clutch and would have a hight bite.

Well the good news is im getting 2k of the work done for free by audi, all suspention work. Just need to get the clutch sorted, but that can wait as the car is more then driveable

Audi does offer a full MOT which covers most of those things you mentioned. but I think the car had to be standard no mods. up to 10 year old cars. check their website.