tips on head removal s3 amk

stoneys3

Reaction score
hi guys, i am doing my head gasket, water pump and cambelt on my 2001 s3 amk, anyone got any pointers or tips to share to make it just that little bit easier:thumbsup:

thanks
ash

If you can bud get the head pressure tested for cracks, it's becoming a common occurance for AMK's to have cracked heads

No developments yet Dave, it's boosting again though and it sounds quite nice! :)

I'll be talking to Bill on the Dyno day when he get the odd free moment lol

yeh i will do mate, with my look at the min it will most likely be cracked!

OK, S3 head removal.... not a hard thing to do in honesty.

Procedure is pretty much obvious to be honest - if it's not then maybe doing it yourself isn't for you...

Anyway - invest in a pukka VAG headbolt tool. Makes the job 100 times easier.

The only other useful tip is with regard to the turbo to manifold bolts. Don't use an E11 socket, they are pants and a crap fit. Use an 11mm multispline socket. Best fit by far...

Thats all I can think of which will help out. The rest is just taking stuff off...

what about the manifold to head bolts? they look very awkward! not got round to it yet. whats best to do with them or does the manifold come off with the head?

The manifold comes off with the head dude. I speak from experience - removing the exhaust manifold with the head on is not a job you want to do.

Undo the three connecting bolts that bolt the turbo to the manifold (try not to round them - lots of WD40 first as they will be tight - they are expensive to replace) and take the manifold off with the head.

Also - don't lose the washers for the mani-turbo bolts. They will most likely be sat in the manifold. Keep them with the bolts as they are even more expensive that the bolts themselves.

top job thanks for that matey that was my only concern for now!

thanks again welly:)