Material under the bonnet?

Mr.Blonde

Reaction score
Just a quick question really,is the material under the bonnet for soundproofing?..

Meaning take it off and hear the boost !!!!!!!!

Nathan

Out of interest how many of us no longer have the Soundproofing/insulation fitted?

G

I removed mine to aid cooling and reduce under bonnet temps.

This worked.

The downside being you can hear the injectors clicking away and the EVAP system clicking all the time....

Haha Nattie that is just what i have done.Not taken it out yet tho to hear what it sounds like.Does it really reduce engine temp??..how would i know if it does?.

Haha Nattie that is just what i have done.Not taken it out yet tho to hear what it sounds like.Does it really reduce engine temp??..how would i know if it does?.

Got VAG COM?

If so you can monitor Intake Air Temperatures. I forget which block it's on, but it's one of the early ones.

I took mine off. I wonder if you can use Dynomat underneath there? Or is it not heat resistant enough?

Welly did you also remove the rubber strip at the back of the bay? Did that have any ill effects at all?

I might rip the sound proofing out of my bonnet this evening.

Welly did you also remove the rubber strip at the back of the bay? Did that have any ill effects at all?

I might rip the sound proofing out of my bonnet this evening.

Yep, the rubber strip is gone also. No ill side effects so far and it's not been there for several months now....

IATs are definitely cooler though.

Prawn, do a before and after IAT log - I'd love to see....

Theres a strip along the slam panel and rear mate.think its for rain water to stop getting in or to stop the bonnet banging about??..

Theres a strip along the slam panel and rear mate.think its for rain water to stop getting in or to stop the bonnet banging about??..

A bit of both I suspect. Also, again to stop noise escaping.

IMO, it stops the free flow of air through the engine bay. So, in the bin it went.

yes......more vents at the rear means more air pulled into the bay through other avenues

i got rid too for the ring. every little helps. without the seel strip at the back and its quite noisy, i've since fitted it but still have the bonnet stuff off.

Yep, the rubber strip is gone also. No ill side effects so far and it's not been there for several months now....

IATs are definitely cooler though.

Prawn, do a before and after IAT log - I'd love to see....

ye i second this, i want to see

I'll give it a shot when I get the chance.

You guys are going to laugh at my epic 64 degree IAT peak!

Wow..... was that whilst moving?

Yea, 18psi through a standard single SMIC from my ko3S. 64 degrees was reached after a pull to redline through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

it's regularly 57+ though after a full throttle pull, both with the cold air induction kit in teh bumper, and now with the jetex cone.

FMIC required desperately!

Yea, 18psi through a standard single SMIC from my ko3S. 64 degrees was reached after a pull to redline through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

it's regularly 57+ though after a full throttle pull, both with the cold air induction kit in teh bumper, and now with the jetex cone.

FMIC required desperately!

That makes it a good motor for a comparison on the before and after sound deadening removal though....:thumbsup:

I ran my old car without the bonnet sound deadening, 500 miles a week to work and back, and several track days, including the Ring in 30 degree ambient heat and it's done nothing to the paint on the bonnet at all.....

and that's with a ko3S heat pump at 24psi

i was worried about the effect on bonnet paint at first, it does get red hot, but it seems ok so far. could always chrome the inside above the turbo for abit of engine bling

No problems here. And believe me peoples I have the glowiest manifold ever (well, not now....). The heat that the bonnet used to see was obscene.

10,000 miles, no problems. :)