EM TuningVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

'Heavy' S3 Clutch Peddle

I have never driven an S3 until I had fixed this one up so nothing to compare it with, but the clutch peddle feels really heavy/stiff. I assumed that it was an old school cable from how it felt but looked and it is hydraulic. The cars that I have driven with an hydraulic clutch are seriously light compared to this.

So basically, are they all like this or is there something wrong? The clutch itself seems to work fine.

If there is something wrong, any ideas what it could be?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Mine was heavy compared to my 1995 Honda Prelude (Hondas are notoriusly light) however when I had the clutch changed it was light as a feather, so it could be one of two things, clutch is nearing the end of its life or the clutch needs a bleed.

6th Gear

Status
    your clutch pedal will be the next thing to break! its the clutch itself getting heavy.

Neutral

Status
    I don't understand how the clutch could get heavy? Going to try bleeding it and see if it makes a difference.

1st Gear

Status
    anybody know how much it will cost to replace the clutch , flywheel, slave cylinder, and clutch pedal sensor ??? mines heavy too im thinking it will need replaced at some point while i own the car, also had it on a diagnostic yesterday and it showed a fault with the clutch sensor , what does this sensor do and what happens when it is showing a fault ?

6th Gear

Status
    its just the switch on the clutch pedal. nothing to do with the actual clutch mechanicals.

dont think bleeding it will make any difference. the diaphram spring in the pressure plate gets stiff.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by murran View Post
    its just the switch on the clutch pedal. nothing to do with the actual clutch mechanicals.

dont think bleeding it will make any difference. the diaphram spring in the pressure plate gets stiff.
    Ok yeah that makes sense. Hopefully it will last through the winter, it's getting too cold and dark for changing a clutch on the driveway lol.

1st Gear

Status
    This is what has happened to mine, just came from audi with 2 sheets of problems with the car. The clutch springs are not disengageing correctly, not just cause a heavy pedal but also the gears to be stiff...1700 from audi to fix it

Neutral

Status
    Hi, Bleeding the clutch won't make any difference, what happens is the clutch springs become stiff, usually due to 'tempering' of the metal through heat build up..... this is what happens when you keep your foot on the clutch in traffic.. is the clutch pedal rubber worn ? Even if the clutch does not slip, the only cure is a new one - and make sure they replace pressure plate, friction plate and release bearing, I've heard of mechanics at Dagenham Dustbins save parts for home repairs if they think they can get away with it.... Audi should be fine though

1st Gear

Status
    Wait a minute guys ......... 1700 for a clutch refit is ludicrous , supposiing you buy a genuine audi clutch friction plate , pressure plate, flywheel, thrust bearing , slave cylinder etc thats still gonna be 1k for labour ? I seen a link recently says polo g60 flywheel with uprated clutch circa 300 we need a definitive on this me thinks

Neutral

Status
    Clutch on Europarts is 130 odd off the top of my head, can't remember what came with it though. I'm going to do it myself if we get a warm(ish) weekend.

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Duktor View Post
    Wait a minute guys ......... 1700 for a clutch refit is ludicrous , supposiing you buy a genuine audi clutch friction plate , pressure plate, flywheel, thrust bearing , slave cylinder etc thats still gonna be 1k for labour ? I seen a link recently says polo g60 flywheel with uprated clutch circa 300 we need a definitive on this me thinks
    Polo g60 flywheel onto a s3?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

1st Gear

Status
    I got a much more realistic quote from my freind 800.98 flywheel, clutch plate, slave and master etc including 9 hours labour. I didnt **** the bed when i heard that. Expensive but much more realistic. Anyway the point is i have only owned the car for 3 months, takeing it up with the supplying audi dealer

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani_B19 View Post
    Polo g60 flywheel onto a s3?
    sorry cant find the link to the thread , but had summit to do with g60 and r32 coulda been g60 clutch and r32 flywheel not sure tho