Weird rattle from engine... videos included!

riceo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've started hearing a light rattle coming from under the bonnet. It seems like it's coming from around the belts area. I have no clue as to what's causing it though, so if anyone has any ideas please help!

It first started occurring as the weather started to change, starting randomly sometimes for just a second, sometimes for hours. It became more and more frequent, until now it seems to be rattling more times than not.

It doesn't seem to be affected by engine speed, but it's hard to tell as the engine drowns it out above idle.

I tested the following to see if I could work out the conditions it appears in, but to no avail:

- Turning A/C on and off
- Turning fan on/of
- Putting a load on the engine (head beams)
- Turning the steering wheel
- revving the engine
- starting and stopping the engine

It also occurs both when the engine fan is on and off.

The car is a pre-facelift 8L a3 1.8t agu engine. Done just over 100k and hasn't had the cambelt done yet (i know i know!)

YouTube - IMG 1230 (bonnet open, cam in engine bay)
YouTube - IMG 1231 (bonnet closed, a bit further back to hear the noise better)

Any ideas??

Cheers
Aaron

Hi guys,

I've started hearing a light rattle coming from under the bonnet. It seems like it's coming from around the belts area. I have no clue as to what's causing it though, so if anyone has any ideas please help!

Done just over 100k and hasn't had the cambelt done yet (i know i know!)

Well, i think you know exactly what's causing it and you shouldn't waste your time asking about it. I would consider getting it recovered to the garage also. And if it isn't, you still need to do it

I've inspected the timing belt and there is no visual damage to it. I'm not decided whether to do it myself or take it to a garage at the moment... i know it's not a cheap job.

it certainly wont be cheap if it breaks. If you think you can do it then do it, if not then get quotes from a number of garages but certainly dont put it off

Hi, ok, you checked the timing belt, but what about the tensioner? could be the bearing gone , or water pump bearing, I think it's worth doing at that mileage

It could be, it's hard to tell on video to pinpoint it - Have you tried a listening stick ?

i had the cam belt done on my agu for £200 and that included a metal impellor water pump aswell so no its not a big job really, not compared to how big it'l be if it snaps. there might not be any visual damage but come on its done 100k, its going to be ready to pop if you ask me! my money is on the water pump giving you that noise aswell.

get a long screwdriver,place the tip on whatever you think is making the noise and place the handle against your ear(this acts like a stethoscope) then try and pin point what it is.

take the aux belt off (very easy).... start it up..... has the noise gone?