IS it remaped

dannyh

Nogaro S3
Reaction score
I dont think my car is remaped as i raced a ford cugar and it was just a quick, about 8seconds on paper, However last night i race a VW golf GTI and the new civic Type R GT and they were quicker but only slightly. on paper though the Type R is over 1.5 seconds quicker

anyone know how to tell if it is mapped???

Ask at the circuit you race on :blink:

Its an A3, they should have realy beat me shouldnt they

This is a a3 1.8T 150 VS a newshape Civic TypeR with 200
it was getting away but only realy slightly

log it with VAGCOM, block 003.

Standard airflow in g/s for a 1.8T should be 120g/s, although you could see anything from 115-130g/s

Remapped you should see 145g/s as a minimum, ideally 150+

That'll tell you what sort of power you're running.

Also, if it's a post 2000 with an AUM engine, log block 115 for requested vs actual boost

If its standard you wont even feel the turbo come in on a 150. If it's a mapped 150 you'll totally feel it kick in all of a sudden at 3000rpm ish. It's very easy to tell. The 1.8t 150's just feel normally aspirated to me. You cant tell it's turbo'd really. Also if you can easily hear the turbo whistle then it's mapped. If you can hardly hear it, it probably isnt.

well i can feel the turbo kick in, i can put my foot down and when it this 3000 its a sudden wooosh.

can someone tell me what i need to do Vag com???
I dont rely know what it is

Just another boy racer who thinks its cool to race on the streets. Sad, Sad, Sad.

Well that is a little uncalled for, how do you know where i raced, or how i drive.

if we are playing the name calling game based upon very little information then your a grumpy old boring man!

any way back to the thread i dont want to waste my money getting my car mapped if it is already mapped, if i took it to a tuning garage could then find out???

Are you sure its running right when mine had problems it felt real slow but when its right it goes well night and day difference i bought it already mapped so i was lucky lol. You could get it tested on a rolling road to see what power it is but id make sure its running right before so you aren't wasting money.

Is it expensive/difficult to VAG com myself, i might E-mail awesome to see if they can tell, i dont want to pay for it to go on the rollers because its about £50 to find out and that will be money wasted if it isnt mapped

Is it expensive/difficult to VAG com myself, i might E-mail awesome to see if they can tell, i dont want to pay for it to go on the rollers because its about £50 to find out and that will be money wasted if it isnt mapped
You can get the software free from ross tech its called vcds lite it is a trial version though so you cannot record logs but you can have someone sit with you to check what its doing while you drive the car and the cables are on ebay for cheap thats all i used to do before i got the full version.

Not really. Coming on a forum and boasting on line one of your thread about racing 3 cars and losing, has all the smell of boy racer to me. Racing is not fun nore cool when it kills innocent people everday. voorhees made comment about hope you was on a track and you didnt reply, thus making it obvious you was road racing at night. Im not name calling, Just saying boasting about racing on the roads is Sad, Sad, Sad.

2 cents

Not really. Coming on a forum and boasting on line one of your thread about racing 3 cars and losing, has all the smell of boy racer to me. Racing is not fun nore cool when it kills innocent people everday. voorhees made comment about hope you was on a track and you didnt reply, thus making it obvious you was road racing at night. Im not name calling, Just saying boasting about racing on the roads is Sad, Sad, Sad.

2 cents

well this is not what we are talking about on this thread,
How many boy racer have audi A3 turbo, New golf GTI and New Type R.
boy racers have 1.2 corsa's and Saxo's
We are just men with fast cars,
people with fast cars dont have to be boy races but every now and then everyone puts there foot down now. Thats why we have fast cars.

well this is not what we are talking about on this thread,
How many boy racer have audi A3 turbo, New golf GTI and New Type R.
boy racers have 1.2 corsa's and Saxo's
We are just men with fast cars,
people with fast cars dont have to be boy races but every now and then everyone puts there foot down now. Thats why we have fast cars.
I rarely stick to the speed limits and i have raced people before but there is a time and a place to do it and if you stuck to the speed limits why would you have a fast car? This thread wasnt about this and danny h wasnt bragging just comparing his car to others.

I rarely stick to the speed limits and i have raced people before but there is a time and a place to do it and if you stuck to the speed limits why would you have a fast car? This thread wasnt about this and danny h wasnt bragging just comparing his car to others.

Thank you this is not what the threat was about, if you must no i do 60 on motor ways and 30 on the roads but my friend had just bout an 11,000 type R and he wanted to test it out so we went to an industrial estate many miles away from the public. i was amazed it was not much quicker this is why i started this thread

In that case there can be a few factors involved...is it straight line this industrial estate/any boost leaks or undermining mechanical problems you don't know of/what type of tyres/what revs are you changing/are they faster changing gear/wet dry ?

ill set the scene......
11.30 long straight road
had rained but was dry'ish (no puddles)
GTI in left lane Typr R right lane and me behind the GTI.
we set off, i span in first which is when they pulled away then i was ok in all other gears and they diddnt pull away as much then.
was a proper race so i diddnt change thill it hit read about 6500.
i though they would have let me more than that

if you stuck to the speed limits why would you have a fast car?

I have to share my opinion on this one, but I hope it doesn't p155 anyone off too much....

Although we may prefer otherwise, speed limits are there for a reason and that reason is the safety of ourselves, other road users and pedestrians, particularly the speed limits in residential areas. Now, I'm not sure anyone could say that they ALWAYS obey ALL speed limits, but to question why you'd stick to speed limits just because you have a fast car is nonsense. Regardless of the potential of your car, the speed limit is in place for a reason and applies to everyone. I appreciate the performance of my car and I do use it when it is safe and legal to do so, but I didn't buy it just to break speed limits and race everything in sight.

On a humourous note, I was washing the car a few months ago when a kid in a lowered Corsa stopped opposite my house and called out "so when are we gonna have a race mate?". Needles to say I declined his offer!

I have to share my opinion on this one, but I hope it doesn't p155 anyone off too much....

Although we may prefer otherwise, speed limits are there for a reason and that reason is the safety of ourselves, other road users and pedestrians, particularly the speed limits in residential areas. Now, I'm not sure anyone could say that they ALWAYS obey ALL speed limits, but to question why you'd stick to speed limits just because you have a fast car is nonsense. Regardless of the potential of your car, the speed limit is in place for a reason and applies to everyone. I appreciate the performance of my car and I do use it when it is safe and legal to do so, but I didn't buy it just to break speed limits and race everything in sight.

On a humourous note, I was washing the car a few months ago when a kid in a lowered Corsa stopped opposite my house and called out "so when are we gonna have a race mate?". Needles to say I declined his offer!
I didnt mean it like that obviously in built up areas i drive normally but on empty country roads and such i open it up a bit and what i meant about the fast cars is from my point of view i wouldnt have faster cars if i was going to stick to the limits religiously id have an economical car just my opinion. And as for the corsa i dont think that could be classed as a race just you leaving him standing lol. As for me racing i dont do it much but tbh they arn't races just me pulling away from someone till they give up obviously where its safe too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I couldn't believe it when he called out to me. Not sure if he was just having a laugh or genuinely stupid! I'd love to have gone along with it, letting him nose ahead until we hit about 40mph and then floored it.. ...byeeee!

the 1.8 A3 is hardly classed as a fast car in standard form.

If the type r wasn't much faster that would indicate that it's possible you are mapped.

However, the GTi should have been an even match, so on that basis it would be an indicator you are not mapped.

You can see the dilema !

Sounds like you met some cars last night didn't you lol. You weren't at Docklands street racing night was you? Hmmm.

no, i'm from manchester lol,

yes i should be leval with the golf but the golf was ever so slightly quicker than the type R so i dont have a clue lol

I have had a play both a mk5 gti and a civic type R in my old A3 which was mapped to 194 bhp and both cars were slighty quicker than mine...

If I was going to guess I'd say you were already mapped too ! Though I don't understand you struggling against a Couger... Lol

I have had a play both a mk5 gti and a civic type R in my old A3 which was mapped to 194 bhp and both cars were slighty quicker than mine...

If I was going to guess I'd say you were already mapped too ! Though I don't understand you struggling against a Couger... Lol

yes this is what i mean lol so difficult to decide if it is mapped or not,
i will have to keep my eye out for a rolling road day.
if it is mapped, thats why the type R diddnt leave me standing that i should have beat the cugar lol

Surely a boost gauge will tell u. 7psi unmapped. 14 or so if mapped. Simples

Is it expensive/difficult to VAG com myself,

Am i the only one that found this line funny (sorry dirty mind).....lol

If its standard you wont even feel the turbo come in on a 150. If it's a mapped 150 you'll totally feel it kick in all of a sudden at 3000rpm ish. It's very easy to tell. The 1.8t 150's just feel normally aspirated to me. You cant tell it's turbo'd really. Also if you can easily hear the turbo whistle then it's mapped. If you can hardly hear it, it probably isnt.

Are you sure about this?

I can feel the turbo kick in and hear is spooling up, and as far as I'm aware my car hasn't been remapped.

EDIT: Ooooops old thread....lol

Dont agree with you on this, on both our cars boost kicks in at about 2200 and above 2500 they are really accelerating with power, not sure when boost drops off because never pushed either car that far on public roads.

DC

street racing aint fun kids!

*** splash the cash and stick your car on the rollers!!!

I find most Civic type-r drivers change gear too soon instead of letting it rev to ner the limiter, my mate has a 2003 civic type-r and he can drive it, he pulls away from my Stage 1 S3, however when I go up against other Civic type-r's I seem to have the edge, I think they are just all scared of revving high.