Lowering (LCR)

bennn

Reaction score
Hi

A friend of mine wants me to lower his 03 Reg Leon Cupra R. (imagine its the same as an S3)

Ive done a few cars before but just wanted to know if you have to remove the driveshaft to get the old spring out.

I did a MK4 Golf before and managed to get away with not removing it then, is it likely to be the same as this?

Cheers,

Ben

I think because the LCR doesn't have 4wd it won't be similar to an s3.

can imagine the leon is closer to the mk4 or a3 than the s3 as its fwd.

can imagine the leon is closer to the mk4 or a3 than the s3 as its fwd.

Whoops, for some reason i completely forgot the S3 is a 4WD!

If anyone could tell me whether or not i have to take out the DS that would be ideal!

No, I found that I had to use some spring clamps to help me take the N/S strut off but I didn't touch the driveshaft. It helps if you have the tool that spreads the strut 'slot' but I managed fine witout it.

No, I found that I had to use some spring clamps to help me take the N/S strut off but I didn't touch the driveshaft. It helps if you have the tool that spreads the strut 'slot' but I managed fine witout it.

I dont have the tool for that, but last time of the MK 4 golf i used an allen key and turned it so it spread the hub.

I looked on one forum and a guy had removed the brakes, there is no real need to do this is there?

Take the wheel off put on axel stands, jack the hub back up until the spring is fairly compressed then use spring clamps or sturdy/thick tie wraps(if you cant get hold of anything else, at your own risk of course) to keep the spring compressed.
Undo the strut at the bottom and spray plenty of penetrating oil, try and force the wedge open a little with a small chisel.
Undo the shock mounted drop link if it has them. lower the hub carefully back down and the shocker should come away from the hub, undo the top mount and it wall fall away ....:w00t: Be carefull with the brake/abs/pad sensor wires/pipes, and mind they dont snag on the shocker when removing.....
Rears are easy and the spring just pulls out
NOTE, if the car as the leveling sensors on the arms, these need one end removing so you dont strain them...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
s3dave has it spot on ^^^

There's no need to touch the brakes IMO, I didn't touch mine or need to when I did the job.

Do you actually need to remove the driveshaft to lower the mk1 s3? Planning on doing mine on the weekend. How difficult is it?

Do you actually need to remove the driveshaft to lower the mk1 s3? Planning on doing mine on the weekend. How difficult is it?

lol, I don't ever recalling a car where the driveshaft needed to be removed to lower it? No need to remove it on an S3 100%.