Brake pads and discs, which first?

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys, looking at replacing the discs and pads on the front even though they are supposedly only 25% worn...

However, can I replace just the pads at first, see if that helps, then replace discs at a later date? Or is it the other way around? Basically, I don't want to replace my discs if I don't need to, but don't want to ruin £££ of DS2500 pads!!

If your disks are knackered they will ruin your pads.

Just do them both.

Your not half in for some spending by the looks of things ! Brakes, Suspension etc :w00t:

Tell me about it Ian. The car isn't perfect, which means my bank card comes out :(

Thanks for the input Ian.

Thanks chap, I wasn't sure if I could get away with new pads on old discs. The reason being, if they're 25% worn, I'm chucking out discs that are perfectly acceptable!

you can fit new pads to old discs but if you think they are suspect then for £100 id change the lot then you know where you are.

What's wrong with your brakes exactly? 25% worn on your disks or pads or both? It's normal for pads to wear our quicker than disks, and just to replace the pads alone, but if you are changing disks, then most people would change the pads at the same time, as pads are relatively cheap compared to disks, so change them whilst it's all off.

What discs to people recommend for going with a set of DS2500's?

Is there much difference between after market discs and OE discs if you are sticking on a pair of DS2500's?

Thanks buddy, have PM'd Bill and will get on the blower to him later today. Standard discs and DS2500s.

Thanks buddy, have PM'd Bill and will get on the blower to him later today. Standard discs and DS2500s.

Thats the best way forward... I need to do exactly that as both my discs and pads are shot.

However, I am royally skinto.

Thats the best way forward... I need to do exactly that as both my discs and pads are shot.

However, I am royally skinto.

Likewise, but on to the credit card it goes for next month.........o. Lol.

£60 for standard brake discs www.vwspares.co.uk , are these uprated discs really of any great benefit for normal driving with a bit of fun every now and again?

Which do you get most bang for your buck? Uprated pads or uprated discs? I would have thought that better pads will give you the better return. Whereas better discs will only show their worth if you are hammering the brakes around a track and need them to stay cooler and withstand a lot higher temperatures than you'd hit on the road?

I'm going for a set of DS2500's myself...just wondering should I shell out the extra cash on uprated discs?

For future reference, the parts for an S3 are:

Ferodo DS2500 Front Pads, Part Number: FCP590H

Front Brake Disc (312MM), Part Number: 8N0615301A

thanks, surely must be an online shop that selld S3 ferodos, sellers on here are extorsionate

Each side (disc) takes two pads. Hence 4 in total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if they are only 25% worn personally i'd be wacking the pads on, the pads are always going to wear out well before a new set of discs are, i think you get 2 or 3 sets of pads to a pair of discs....going against everyone (suprise suprise :) ) i would just buy the pads and use the discs as tests....if you like em then next time buy the full set if you need em

look at it another way, were you changing the pads as per normal, you wouldnt buy a new set of discs everytime....so why in this scenario

apologies for applying logic :undwech:

if they are only 25% worn personally i'd be wacking the pads on, the pads are always going to wear out well before a new set of discs are, i think you get 2 or 3 sets of pads to a pair of discs....going against everyone (suprise suprise :) ) i would just buy the pads and use the discs as tests....if you like em then next time buy the full set if you need em

look at it another way, were you changing the pads as per normal, you wouldnt buy a new set of discs everytime....so why in this scenario

apologies for applying logic :undwech:

truuuuff

That was my thought, but for £60 from Bill for front discs, I don't want to go ruining the £135 pads.

Making sense though, Timmath!

I don't know Joe, that was my original question lol!

It's common for people to change pads regularly using the original disks, if you brake pedal doesn't judder under braking, I don't see why you would need new disks, it doesn't take long for a new pad to bed into the disks, as naturally, the pad wears out quicker than brake disks. But in a scenario where the disks need replacing, people change the pads aswell, as they have to come off for the disks to be changed anyways, and in general, brake pads cost less than disks to replace.

Just to throw another spanner in the works, i've been told that the DS pads are excellent, but they dont last five mins.

i fear that the discs changing is sheep mentality not wanting to offend other members...... unless someone can come up with a prominent argument as to why you would change discs that have less than 50% wear.....

this is your chance to speak up lovely people :)

It's common for people to change pads regularly using the original disks, if you brake pedal doesn't judder under braking, I don't see why you would need new disks, it doesn't take long for a new pad to bed into the disks, as naturally, the pad wears out quicker than brake disks. But in a scenario where the disks need replacing, people change the pads aswell, as they have to come off for the disks to be changed anyways, and in general, brake pads cost less than disks to replace.
And if you are paying £200+ discs you don't want some half used pads that have moulded themselves to the old disk pattern

i fear that the discs changing is sheep mentality not wanting to offend other members...... unless someone can come up with a prominent argument as to why you would change discs that have less than 50% wear.....

this is your chance to speak up lovely people :)
Agreed, mine were an MOT failure, so i had no choice

I used to think 3 sets of pads to 1 set of discs but general pads now seem to do 40k and the discs ive seen always look well lipped so I normally change both now and have done. Pads used to last 10k max but I think they have hardened them poss to reduce service intervals ???