Rocker Cover Gasket, Anything Else Needed?

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Just about to order a new rocker cover gasket but before i do, is there anyting else i need to change while im doing it, any other gaskets etc?

Dont want to take the rocker cover off to find ive not bought something that may aswell been done while doing that.

Thanks.

Probly ted johnson (its a seat dealer near me where i get %10 discount :))

I think I read about the rocker cover gasket giving problems before, is it that it's leaking oil? Is that why you are replacing it?

yeah mine has just started get moisture around the rocker, time for a new one. Is it a dealer only jobbie?

Yeah, mines leaking onto the turbo manifold and when stood in traffic when warm its smoking, not a good look, haha.

No you can do it yourself, just need to know what parts i need!

All you need is the kit and sealant. The kit comes with both the outer gasket and the inner rings for around the spark plugs. Just put a dab of sealant on the corners and sharp bits. No special tools needed its just an utter pain in the **** to get to (a lot of stripping). Make sure you get Audi OE parts as I first did mine with a spurious gasket and it didnt fit right but the genuine Audi one did the trick

In relation to the cam chain tensioner seal just check if its leaking before you do the rocker gasket as there is no point in going back to it again. A special tool VW 3366 is required to do this however to slacken the tension off the chain. You can find them on ebay for about a fiver. Hope this helps!!

How do you to see if the cam chain is leaing? Also thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help chief. How do you check to see if the cam chain is leaking?

Thanks for the help chief. How do you check to see if the cam chain is leaking?

Look on the right hand side of the block if you see oil it needs changing. you don't need a special tool to slacken the tension off just undo 4 bolts around it then lift it up it's hydraulic check out this thread i took pics when i did it. just be careful when tighten the rocker cover back up not to snap the nuts.

post #14

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...cam-adjuster-gasket-cam-cover-paint-pics.html

Look on the right hand side of the block if you see oil it needs changing. you don't need a special tool to slacken the tension off just undo 4 bolts around it then lift it up it's hydraulic check out this thread i took pics when i did it. just be careful when tighten the rocker cover back up not to snap the nuts.

post #14

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...cam-adjuster-gasket-cam-cover-paint-pics.html

Edit: Elsawin say 10nm on the rocker cover bolts well mine snapped on about 5-7nm. not expensive to buy just a pain to change.

Can i just confirm that this is the correct part and part number for the cam chain gasket thingy:

039079.jpg
Part no: 058 198 217

Finally got all my engine and service parts apart from the rocker cover gasket, i know the part number for rocker but the right side of the engine block is leaking heavily and from what i can gather i need to replace the above gasket! Is this correct as my car i has NO vvt but ive read i still nead the above gasket.

Can i just confirm that this is the correct part and part number for the cam chain gasket thingy:

039079.jpg
Part no: 058 198 217

Finally got all my engine and service parts apart from the rocker cover gasket, i know the part number for rocker but the right side of the engine block is leaking heavily and from what i can gather i need to replace the above gasket! Is this correct as my car i has NO vvt but ive read i still nead the above gasket.

I never needed to replace this part when changing my rocker cover gasket.

Mine looks to be leaking quite badly jo so thought i may aswell whyll im doing the rocker cover, do you know if its the correct part?

Mine looks to be leaking quite badly jo so thought i may aswell whyll im doing the rocker cover, do you know if its the correct part?

Not sure mate, but if you are 100% sure it's the camcover gasket, I don't see why you would need this part, unless the blue bund bit is missing from your cover? I don't even remember seeing on of those on my early APY, but that was 4years ago. The camcover gasket kit came with everything you need, it was just annoying, as you have to remove the fuel injector rail, all 4 coilpacks, some of the vacuum plumbing, charge pipe, and undo the cambelt cover just to get to the camcover! Then as suggeste above, use some gasket seal on the edges.