engine speed sensor

jimes

Reaction score
took the motor out today and stretched its legs, just after that I pulled upto a junction and it cut out and wouldnt restart but did in the end! got home after noticing epc light on and put the vagcom on cleared the speed sensor fault and all is good. does this mean its on its way out or just a bad connection? also getting exhaust temp probe intermittent fault.

nope this is just the beginning, get one bought asap, £80 from Audi but you can get pattern parts for £30-£40.....make sure its for an S3 though as some suppliers think one size fits all - speaking from experience a golf one wont work :)

its just below the oil filter, id personally pay a garage half hour labour to fit, a ramp will make life tons easier....i did it on the drive where you have to remove a lot of the brackets at the front of the engine to reach the 10mm nut (arms down either side)...then had to jack the front up to get some leverage to get it out, it will twist but wont pull out.....ball ache isnt the word

cheers, sounds like you have cut out a few times with this! will get one asap and have ramps at my lock up so shouldnt be a problem! might be why it sometimes feels a bit lumpy at idle

yeah i kept putting it off but it gets worse and happens when you least expect it, then mine started jerking on boost, engine light came on once.... took over two weeks to get my **** in gear and cant tell you the uncertainty of not getting home :)

Why would you even drive the car like that? The sensor failed on a Golf we owned a few years ago, I had to have the car towed home and I replaced it the next day. You could get stranded anywhere.

because i didnt have a conclusive answer as to what the issue was and no fault codes to begin with.....it wasnt something i enjoyed but you of all people should know that the sheer amount of sensors etc on this engine mean the answer to a problem isnt always that obvious..... not many on here diagnosed it

I have the same problem been told it could be maf, split hoses oil filters.

Also not every body has the money to just sort it out the next day I have to wait 2 weeks so I have the spare cash to sort it.

to be fair MAF or split hoses dont really cause the car to just cut out..... a lot of people ALWAYS blame the MAF when often it isnt really to blame, MAF and split hoses are common...if your cutting out then i suggest putting it on vagcom which will point you i the general direction or better still, give you the answer

yeah vagcom put me in the right direction straight away. quite often its just a bad connection on crank sensors etc but for the cost might aswell get a new one

That's good mate sometimes it will come up with the cam sensor too for that fault,i had several but only cos I'm lazy and don't check often :)