Knocking from front

scoobyra

It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!
Reaction score
I've had an annoying knock from the front of my car for a little while now so I decided to have a look at the causes.

Lower Arms - Nope, bushes seem fine
Drop Links - Nope, all ok
Bottom Ball Joints - Not them
ARB Bushes - possible although they look like they've been changed
Top Mounts .....ahhhh. Rubbers appeared ok, changed the brearings, put some H&R springs on, put it all back together and no more knocking noise.........UNTIL TODAY!!!!!!! AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!! :banghead:

* Note to Voorhees......No Swearing!!! :sm4:

Ahhhh, a fellow 'unknown knocking' veteran....

I suspect my top mount or shocks. Checked everything else!!

CV joints I noticed you hadn't mentioned....

Ahhhh, a fellow 'unknown knocking' veteran....

I suspect my top mount or shocks. Checked everything else!!

CV joints I noticed you hadn't mentioned....

Interesting that you should say that Welly, the N/S CV boot is split and the knocking stopped when I replaced the front right spring ( I know this because I didn't have enough time to change the L/H spring and had to drive my car a short distance from my mate's house to home).

It also seems to be worse when turning left and is more a 'tapping' kind of knock like the shock is banging up and down?

If it's worse turning left and the N/S CV is split then that's certainly what I would go with. CV joints make all sorts of funky noises when they are devoid of grease, and I have heard them make a tappy sound before.

Start with the obvious dude, don't make what could be an easy fix more difficult by fixing things that aren't broken.

I'm going to do both CV's at the end of the month but I'm not convinced that's the problem. I'm wondering if the R/H shock is knackered Welly? Bit funny how it stopped when I changed the bearing - surely it couldn't have koncked itself out again in 3 days!?

I'm going to do both CV's at the end of the month but I'm not convinced that's the problem. I'm wondering if the R/H shock is knackered Welly? Bit funny how it stopped when I changed the bearing - surely it couldn't have koncked itself out again in 3 days!?

Without hearing/seeing it's hard to say dude, but it's a good possibility. Start off with the bits that are visually broken, and then work to the shock if needs be.

OEM shocks from Audi are ~£80 plus VAT per shock IIRC. Part number escapes me though.

Got a knock myself.

Must only be a month ago I changed all the lower arm bushes and top mounts, right pain in the *** as I thought I was free of knocks and bangs.

From experience mine sounds like ARB bushes but i'll find out this weekend.

I was in the same boat a while ago, changed all those things apart from shocks .... and guess what? Yep ended up being shocks! (even though the donut mech said when he removed my shocks the first time to do the top mounts they seemed fine no leaking and compression issues) ! Lesson: Never under estimate your pesky shocks even if they're not leaking! :)

@ all of the above.

I need to change the shocks for B8's which I'm going to do when funds allow as the H&R's don't work very well with the standard (and possibly knackered) shocks. I'll probably end up doing the ARB's at the same time so I guess I'll just have to live with it for a bit otherwise it's going to seem a bit like Ground Hog Day!! LOL

Got a knock myself.

Must only be a month ago I changed all the lower arm bushes and top mounts, right pain in the *** as I thought I was free of knocks and bangs.

From experience mine sounds like ARB bushes but i'll find out this weekend.

Turns out mine was just one of my droplinks had come loose, sorted that and its knock free again :)

On two of my 4 8Ls I've owned I've had a knocking from the front which was actually the radiator banging around where the bottom of it wasn't bolted to anything.

i had a knocking recently, put it down to the front lower arm bushes as everything else looked fine, bought a load of bushes off ebay and replaced all the arb bushes first and the knocking has gone.

While we are on the topic does anyone know how to remove the bracket on top of the steering rack bush? mine wont seem to budge.

For me it was the anti roll bar bushes, and top mounts, had these changed when I had the new suspension fitted. and now there is no Knocking noise :) thank god cos that sh*t is just annoying!!

Looking at the plastic collars where the ARB bushes sit, it looks like someone has cut the ends off to aid the bush replacement?

I bought some new bushes from ECP but they weren't anywhere near the right size. Does anyone have a link please?