Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    1st Gear

Status

Hi all newb with few questions

Hi All newb here been trolling around the site for some time and thought it was time to say hello , bought a 2001 s3 last week 210 amk facelift version , obviously a mid life crisis lol

its done 126000 miles so Ive put on new boots all round, changed the oil and filter, and had a timing belt fitted ( didnt need done aparantly but least i have peace in mind) , car has been checked all over since i bought it all seems to work well with recent brake pads and discs all round and one new rear spring, rear drop links will need done too, new coil packs fitted on 2 cylinders so apart from that alls well except the usual stuff on a high milage car

it needs the plastic connector from sump breather replaced cracked due to age n heat
    drivers window is a tad noisy wen going up n down so suspect the door plastics clip
    rear wash wipe takes about 5 seconds before the fluid emerges but is powerfull and shoots straight
    up
    hieght adjustment on the electric recarro passenger side dosent work
    cup holder stuck in din
    and most annoying of all is that the headlight washer units leak fluid

i took off front bumper today to inspect and after blocking off one suspect washer the other sprung a leak too

so questions are

1) are the headlight washers repairable ie can i buy a rebuild kit for em or should they be replaced as a whole unit ?
    2) can anyone provide a link to explain how to remove the concert stereo and din to repair the cup holder pop out thingy
    3) as above a link or any advice to test and repair the hieght aduster on passenger seat

Genaral question

1) what is the econ button for on the climate control ? im assuming it switches off the air con compressor ?

many thanks in advance for all your help guys regards Don

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Welcome! Can't help with all your questions, but I can confirm that the Econ button turn the aircon off.

Most of these niggles sound easy to fix to me. Just search this forum, there's loads of good info on here.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks Doctor , im glad to be hear m8 , Ive been searching and found some very good write ups on most of the common faults of the s3 , my last few questions were based upon not finding the answers in the search, guess ill have the econ button on all the time from now on then itll soon be minus 10 again .. does the econ button have to be on all the time or does the compressor switch off automatically during cold weather , last few cars ive had air con had to be switched on not off ?

5th Gear

Status
    Welcome and hope you enjoy the motor!

Quote Originally Posted by Duktor View Post
    3) as above a link or any advice to test and repair the hieght aduster on passenger seat
    Probably a limit switch fallen off. You will find it easiest to take the seat out to inspect the switches. I had one fall off a year or so back, and needed to glue it back on.

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks Alijames , what is the limiter switch and how can it be accessed after seat removal, i had a few vw cars before and their seats were held in by 4 bolts under the car is the S3 similar ?

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah. 2 bolts at the front and a couple under the plastic covers at the back, if I recall, then unplug the wiring loom underneath and lift the seat out. Don't switch on the ignition while the seat is unplugged though, as an airbag fault will be logged.

See http://users.ox.ac.uk/~engs0330/car/a3_interior.pdf for more details on taking the seat out and where the limit switches are.

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

1st Gear

Status
    excellent thank you very much thatll be my bedtime read for tonight thanks again .

Speeding in reverse gear

Status
    I think that your car comes with climate control. If that is the case, then aircon would be switched on/off automatically depending on the temperature you set in the car and ambient temp. 'Econ' switches the air conditioner off completely and it will just work as normal blowers.

The cup holder can be removed without removing anything else. They do get stuck, so you can try to pop out the trim around the holder and then you should see a way to pull the whole assembly out. It's a self-contained unit and is held with a clip on top or bottom (can't remember exactly)

As far as the headlight washer system goes, you really need to find the actual part that is leaking. There's quite a bit of pipework/parts that can leak. Diagram of the headlight washer system - Audi A3 / S3 / quattro

Here is the parts diagram for the seats - / switch for lumbar adjustment / relay Audi A3 / S3 / quattro

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks Leshkin very usefull info there , will have to sign up to the links you supplied as they dont allow access to non members so will give that a try , none of my pies to the headlight washers were leaking its the actual units them selves , I would assume they will be sealed units requiring audi replacement but logic tells me a seal has failed on them both so hopefully they can be repaired with a rebuild .

thanks to all u guys for very helpfull info regards Don

Speeding in reverse gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Duktor View Post
    Thanks Leshkin very usefull info there , will have to sign up to the links you supplied as they dont allow access to non members so will give that a try , none of my pies to the headlight washers were leaking its the actual units them selves , I would assume they will be sealed units requiring audi replacement but logic tells me a seal has failed on them both so hopefully they can be repaired with a rebuild .

thanks to all u guys for very helpfull info regards Don
    Yeah, the holder is a plastic box, which can be taken apart if you're careful and take care of the plastic clips.

The site I gave you is Russian, so if you need help signing-up, let me know. It's essentially the web version of the ETKA parts database that VAG dealers use, so does come in useful when searching for part numbers or looking for details on how things fit together.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the link Leshkin , managed to sign up and find what i was after , as i thought the headlight washer pumps are sealed and are listed as 55 euro + each so ill be pulling the old ones apart first to see if i can repair them ,

thanks for the link you sent also Alijames , managed to fix the cup holder with a good blast of wd40 its working a treat now, unfortunately discovered that i couldnt repair the centre storage compartment lid it seems the clip that keeps it shut has broken so its open all the time presumably any a3 storage compartment from similar age vehicle would would fit in there as the piano trim is removable ?

also could you confirm it is ok to remove the seats after disconnection of battery as the pdf u sent me states the need for a vag service tool VAS 5094 ?? something to do with the airbag ?
    if not required i plan to pull the seat tomorrow and investigate the problem with the lifter

does anyone have a link to a comprehensive pdf on engine overhaul or a factory workshop manual

thanks too all for their advice and good karma

ps very strange thing happened with the car today , I had ran a full tank on 95 ron fuel as thats what the dealer filled it with , just getting used to the car i managed to squeeze 280 miles before the fuel light came on so off i went to the local Tesco n filled her up with their 98 ron started and drove approx 200 meters then parked and went into the store for some provisions,

when i came out car started no problem but seemed to misfire a couple of times, as i proceeded to drive away ! I hadnt even turned in the car park and the car died instantly however it starded stright up again and no problems since what do you guys think might have caused this could it simply be the change in fuel from 95-98 car also seems to pull a lot better with the expensive juice ?

Speeding in reverse gear

Status
    The compartment can be got form a scrap yard or those used parts sites.

The VAG service tool is just some cabling - VWVortex.com - Airbag Adapter VAS 5094...Cost?, but I'm not sure what is its funtion as I never had to take the seats out.

Workshop manual is electronic, you can get a funky one on ebay, just search for ElsaWin.

As for misfire, could be a number of things, so best to scan the car with VCDS (link in my sig will tell you where the nearest forum member, most will do it for free)