Badger5Monster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Prawn

Thread: ebay 3" downpipe and decat fitting - Is it hard?

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status

ebay 3" downpipe and decat fitting - Is it hard?

As above really is it hard to fit? never looked into the exhaust on these cars. you got much room to change it on the driveway? or is it a proper ramp n garage job?

Also

how long does the TIP take to fit on an AGU if poss?

thanks alot peeps

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

2. # ADS
    ADS

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Not so sure on an a3 but the s3 is certainly no fun 3-4+ hours for downpipe

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    bloody hell! hopefully the a3 is better

Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.

1st Gear

Status
    Changing the downpipe for a K03 turbo is a hell alot easier than K04. You can access all the downpipe bolts from the bottom off the car. . . So answering your question yes it could be done yourself

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    ahh sweet so just unbolt the 3 bolts n slide it out then same in reverse with a new gasket?

1st Gear

Status
    Downpipe has 4 bolts connecting it to the turbo. . . . but yes new gasket and bolts job done.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    DP on an A3 is a dead easy job Dave!

and whilst the DP is out, it makes accessing the TIP much easier from below too, so you win both ways!

To get the downpipe off, undo the centre bracket holding the exhaust on, then just undo the 4 nuts holding the DP to the turbo, and slide it out. Make sure you disconnect the plug for the lamda, then remove the lamda once it's out and on the bench.

refitting is the reverse of removal! new gasket as you say, which will come with the decat.

Took me 90 mins start to finish to fit a 3'' DP and decat, new centre section, and silicon TIP on my AUM
    JudderMan likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    ahh sweet ill get those bits then! cheers for that. my last purchase before christmas :D

you got a link for either of those that are half decent? soo many on ebay i dunno what to choose!

cheers :D

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    As above, a piece of monkey jizz.

Quite a nice job to do IMO.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    yea, minimal effort for a decent gain.

Only thing you've got to be cautious of is snapping studs on the turbo and seized nuts.

As a precautionary I'd always have a set of new studs and nuts from audi, just incase one snaps. neither of mine have ever been a problem, but I know Tim (animal) had some problems with getting them off
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    ill keep that in mind! need to get some oil anyway so will pop in

1st Gear

Status
    There's no worry about heat on the bolts when re-assembling or anything?