Haldex service!

mark_sarah

Limp mode!
Reaction score
I need to do a haldex filter change on my S3, i am quite mechanically competent so going to do it myself. I have access to a 4 poster ramp, and most tools required, but wonder if you guys have got any hints, or must haves before i start.

I've had a read using the search function, but cannot find any instructions, only specifications. I will be taking pictures, and making notes on tools required so i can hopefully help others.

Like i said, any advice, links, or tool requirements would be much appreciated, as i will be doing this free hand...

Got the tool when i bought the filter and oil, thanks anyway.

The diagram shown gives you an idea what i'm looking for, however i have had a look at it today, and i can't even see the filter...

The filter is on the right hand side of the haldex unit when your looking at the car from the back, The drain plug is more towards the left.

Use a torch and shine it up, if your lying under the car with the haldex unit directly infront of your face, legs sticking out the back its up on the left, your have to get the tool in there, but being shaped as it is this isn't much of a problem, although there isn't much cranking space.

its easy to see once you know where to look, use a torch ;)

Edit,

In the pictures on the link above the pictures of the filter are being taken from close to the rear drivers side wheel, so if your looking from there with a torch its easy to see, remember it might be metal or plastic, depending if it has been changed in its life.

Whilst you have it up on the ramps why not also change the rear diff. oil?

Last edited:
Guys both those guides are wrong, its only taken 1 person to put the new oil in through the drain plug and everyone has done it, there is infact another plug to put the oil in, it also ensures you dont over fill the haldex its on the right hand side of the haldex if you are underneath the car facing the rear, you can get a grease gun in ontop of the exhaust, hope this helps.

:ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:

2uzf2vb.jpg

2dkl2qr.jpg

The other plug that one guy on here is talking about isn't where haldex say to fill the unit from, so don't fill it from there. Pretty sure its a inspection whole only.