Which A3?

johnsnow

Reaction score
Im looking to spend around 2k on an A3 looking about it seems to limit to petrols in the following engine size/spec 1.6, 1.8, 1.8T some are SE's some Sport. Im just wondering what I should be looking for and more importantly what I shouldnt be.. Apologies if this has been answered before I did a search and went through the FAQ's but it wasnt stickied

help appreciated

2k these days should buy you a nice 1.8T sport on a 98 or 99 Reg, with around 100k on the clock.

The prices of these cars have come down massively in the last year.

I really wouldn't consider a 1.6 or 1.8 at all, both are utterly gutless, and completely un-tunable, and to add insult to injury, neither manage better MPG than the turbo amazingly, so you really can't go wrong!

Make sure the cambelt has been done between 60-80k, or budget £300 to get this done, all turbo's are 'sport' spec, although DIS and aircon are options, most have it.

Check for rust along the roof gutters, and on the bottoms of the doors.

Otherwise, it's all just standard stuff, take someone along who know's their audi's ideally.

Best of luck!

Thanks, unfortunately I dont know anyone who knows audi's. Are there any textbook things I should be looking for of an a3 of this age? turbo whine? or poor gear engaging?

if the turbo whines id sprint in the opposite direction!!!! your unlikely to find one that whines but check for smoke on idle and under boost, dont worry too much about abit of smoke when the car is first started up, aslong as it clears after a few minutes its fine. check the windows go up and down properly because there are litte plastic clips that snap and make the windows not go up properly which believe me, is friggin annoying! also check the digital display on the dials, the pixles die for a pass time and it looks *****! other than that, just check for the above really! not a great deal that can go seriously wrong and not be noticed!

Agree with what's said, the 1.6 is gutless still not a bad drive IMO. I think the SE came with climate control, mine certainly did.

I think ive found one which im going to look at later. Ive got the V5C reference number and reg and looking through the MOT history last month it had the following advisory notices:

Centre clamp Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)
Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
Oil leak
Rear discs corroded

and in 2009 it had

Nearside Rear Bonded suspension unit deteriorated but can function as intended (2.4.F.3)
Offside Rear Bonded suspension unit deteriorated but can function as intended (2.4.F.3)
Centre clamp Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)

Should i be worried about the oil leak? or anyone of the issues from 2009 i noticed there not in the 2010 mot advisory notes does that mean theve been fixed?

Last edited: