Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
    Reverse Gear

Status

18" alloys on an A3... Ride comfort?

So I'm buying new alloys for my 2001 A3 Ambiente, I have the standard 15's on at the moment and I really want 18" RS4's. I was told by some people to not get 18's on an A3, they said that the ride comfort would decrease ALOT! and I would ruin my suspension and bushings. Is this true? Has anyone done this? How is the ride comfort after changing to bigger alloys?
    Also, I live out in the country side with pretty bad roads (potholes etc.) 17" would be fine I bet but they look too small IMO. 18"s would make me a happy man IF there is little change in the comfort.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Iv'e got 18's on mine and live in an area where the roads are shocking. when i upgraded from the 15's i felt the ride was better on the 18s as big potholes dont hit as hard as they did with the 15's. i know it sounds ridiculous but in my opinion it was a brilliant upgrade. also sticks much better to the road.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thats great to hear! what alloys are they?

Wana go Low gotta go Slow

Status
    Ride comfort depends more on your tyres rather than wheel diameter. If you run 18s with very low profile tyres, you probably gonna get a worse ride than you have already with 15s wrapped in balloon tyres. So if you want comfort at 18s, go for high sidewall profile tyres.

Reverse Gear

Status
    225/40/18 sound good?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JackA3 View Post
    225/40/18 sound good?
    depends on the width of the alloys. i would go for 45s for more comfort mate.

Reverse Gear

Status
    hmm don't you think it will look too high and big then? what do you have on yours?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JackA3 View Post
    hmm don't you think it will look too high and big then? what do you have on yours?
    205/40/17s you can barely see the tyre wall not very comfortable neither lol i dunt think 45s will look that high, its only 5% difference, if not stick to 40s then.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gavin89 View Post
    depends on the width of the alloys. i would go for 45s for more comfort mate.
    225 40 18 is fine, messing with the profile will knock the speedo out. Plus putting 45's on a 18" wheel might also cause issues with rubbing on the arches if he decides to uprate the springs and dampers.

I'd say go for 17's with the standard tyre size 225 45 17, if you go 18's the the comfort won't be that much of a difference compared to the 17's but you have more chances of kerbing them.
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software

2nd Gear

Status
    I've got 18'' alloys with 225/40/18 tyres.
    and to be honest.the ride is a bit firmer,but just a bit.
    and as mentioned above tyre size/brand quality makes a diference. my ones have toyo tyres (proxes 4)and they perform well.

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    mines fine with 18's same as above. Even with coilovers.

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc