Double Din

bioharry

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hope you are all well, I have a quick question regarding the radio install.

I am looking at getting a 2001 S3 and installing the nav unit. I have only seen one S3 so far and it had a single din unit without BOSE.

I believe I need a car with a double din therefore what makes a car have a double and some have a single?

Thanks

This has been discussed before, but to sum up:

If you want to install satnav plus, it's best if you find a car with a double din headunit. If the car has a Syphony stereo then it will be double din. The Symphony headunit has a cd player (some have a 6 cd changer inbuilt) and a tape player.

Concert headunit will be single din.

THIS page outlines the different audi headunits. Scroll down to bottom for newer units.

The BOSE stereo upgrade can have either a Concert or a Symphony headunit. My car doesn't have BOSE but it has the Symphony double din headunit.

Good luck with the search /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks for the information,

Is it possible to modify the dash to fit a sat nav install? or is it not worth the hastle?

So with the Symphony II do you feed it 6CD's into the main slot? seems very wierd!

[ QUOTE ]
bioharry said:

So with the Symphony II do you feed it 6CD's into the main slot? seems very wierd!

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, all through the same single slot, it shuffles and sorts them internally.

If you buy a car with the single din, it's possible to fit the satnav+ but you'll need:

Double din cage/cradle to hold unit
Climate control unit that fits in bottom of centre console.

These things come up on ebay from time to time, but they still cost a fair bit for what they are.

I have a double DIN centre console and I'd like a single DIN one so there are people out there who's swap if you get one that's single DIN /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cheers,
Adam

Is symphony to symphony II a straight swap?