What size wheels have you got??

Lee172

GT3071
Reaction score
Just wondering what wheel sizes you guys are using on your a3/s3s and what differences did it make to performance/handling?

2001 S3 AMK; 18x8.5J 5x100 ET25 225/40/R18 , only recently put these on. It feels slightly firmer and turn in feels a bit sharper but i have other problems with the car which may hide the improvement. Such as, i dont have spigot rings to centralise the wheel properly yet, so they vibrate at speed. Also the suspension is shot :)

19's for me didnt make that much difference, slightly firmer ride but nothing to serious :rock:

Got 18's and 19's. With 18's you can get away with lowering springs/dampers, get 19's and you need coilovers to get the best stance:)

I got 17s on mine with 205/40 tyres, lowered on coilovers. It handles very well, but you need a big drop if your running 17s, my front splitter is taking some bashing already! lol

Ive got 17"s on mine fills arches nicely on coilovers and handles like a dream!..

I wanted to buy 19 but i was told that would "over wheel " the car
so im still looking for some 18s that float my boat

Gavin - Any particular reason why your running 205 40's bud?

Cus i love a bit of stretch...:laugh:

Well it sits lower, tyres are tucked in more, which means I can go lower, not that I can at the moment as the ARB is just a few mm above the driveshaft lol I think some whiteline ARBs are needed.

Well it sits lower, tyres are tucked in more, which means I can go lower, not that I can at the moment as the ARB is just a few mm above the driveshaft lol I think some whiteline ARBs are needed.

Ok cool, i prefer some rim protection:happy:

Be careful you don't damage your sump bud

I'm running 18's. Nice size and car sits very well as i've got AP coilovers. Handling is really good, no complaints at all :)

nice, i was thinking of 18/19s for mine but had a little debate with a mate. He has an s3 and swears by staying with the standard wheel sizes otherwise you'll mess up the gearing and handling/quattro. I personally didnt think it would make that much difference. :)

Gavin have you got any pics of the stretch on your 17"s?? im gonna be taking my TT comps off in a few weeks for a refurb and a fresh set of tyres was thinking of stretching a set on, but was a little worried about curbing the crap out of them.. myt b tempted if i see a pick tho! lol.....

17s standard, I had 18 RS8 eww, I mean they came on the car, but replaced them for the standard one. if I had a choice I would go for 18 BBS LMs spaced out. :)

Iv got some 18" rs4 alloys atm. But just bought some 17" avus alloys hoping they will be more comfortable and maybe look better with spacers

9x19's with et27 up front and et12 rear on 215/35/19 falken 452's nice stretch and stance!!

Last edited:
Surely there's no denying 19" would look the dogz, but it will come at an expense and it's not just the money...

Factory 17" S3 wheels. Suit the car perfectly.

Had 19s & they dont affect the handling that much but noticable lack of acceleration. You definately do feel the extra unsprung weight tho but it's hard to explain just how it affects it. I think it feels a bit more unsettled when cornering hard on uneven roads.

I finally settled on 18's & they are the perfect handling size if a little harder on the bumps but do sharpen the car up.
I also kept the 17's & put winter boots on for the perfect all year round car :)

19`s but they seem to tramline a bit , only really notice it if ive been driving the golf for a while. 235/35/19. Keep thinking of going back to 18`s but I like the sportecs too much :)