Replacement gearbox

mark666

Reaction score
Hi all,

i have a 97 plate 1.6 sport

My gearbox is leaking oil badly, suspected cracked shell, i have looked round for a recon gearbox but looking at £450/£500, i have managed to get hold of a second hand 1 from a low milage A3 for £200.

I have had a couple of qoutes to have it fitted the lowest being £150, is this reasonable or should i attempt myself (is it a hard job to do) i have some experience with cars, just never attempted a gearbox before.

Also will any seals/gaskets need to be replaced when i swap the boxes over.

Any replys gratefull

£150 labour sounds like a good price to me, just make sure that the garage doing the work have a good reputation and your not going to have to do it again any time soon.

A couple of things to bare in mind:
Make sure any ancilllary sensors that come with the replacement box work properly and have no stripped wires leading back from the sensors/use the sensors that you know work from your original box.(a sensor shorting out can cause all sorts of problems, it stop the speedo and fuel gauge working on mine)
Changing the box was a lengthy process on my s3 and its worth changing the clutch if it's due one or approaching needing one.

I have a 90 day warranty on my second hand box it might be worth getting a replacement box with a warranty.

Cheers,

Dane

Last edited: