Sky InsuranceVolks Autos

Thread: Broken Down S3

Reverse Gear

Status

Broken Down S3

Hi Guys,

After some advice, I have a 210bhp S3, mapped by angel tuning (although I think this is irrelevant, I was sitting at some traffic lights when the car started running on 3 cylinders, after about half a 500m I managed to pull over and saw the engine light was on. I turned the car off and tried to restart but it wouldnt start at all.

I have power as the engine will turn over but does not fire. Asuming it was electrical I had the car transported to my mates garage for diagnosis, he has tried his own scanner and 2 other from neighbouring garages but they dont pick up any faults.

I know coil packs are common on these but they have been replaced under warranty and surely all four would not go that quickly, would this bring an ECU light on?

Would VAG.com bring up something that these other scanners are not picking up?

My guy at the garage is convinced it would be a cam sensor or similar but I dont want to take the route of replacing parts to diagnose the fault!

Anyone else had this happen?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Pocket now empty

Status
    It sounds like a coilpack issue but all 4 at the same time is not normal.
    I thought coilpacks and cam sensors would show up on a scan. if there is a problem with them.
    When my first coilpack went it did not show on a scan.

Sorry not much help but hope you get it sorted.
    Revo Stage 2 with all the Gear
    BHP = 274 / Torque = 293

Reverse Gear

Status
    Angel tuning said the same when I asked if the remap would make any difference to fault finding, my man at the garage is dubious due to the fact all four cylinders are not firing.

The guys have been using Snap on scanners (and similar) I was wondering if VAG.com would find anything that these other scanners wont?

Otherwise it looks like replacing parts to diagnose!

Pocket now empty

Status
    I have a original VagCom cable and the coilpacks don't show on my scans when they have gone.
    Revo Stage 2 with all the Gear
    BHP = 274 / Torque = 293

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Hmmmm, my money would be on the Crank Speed Sensor.

They don't always throw codes. And would certainly explain the lack of firing from the engine.

All 4 coils at once? Na.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks Welly, my mate at the garage was thinking more along those lines, it did run on 3 until I turned it off and tried to restart but I still cant see the remaining 3 coils going just because the first one did.

2nd Gear

Status
    Surely if the engine light is on its produced a code? - I'm not an expert i'm just summising
    I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me Superman

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    You have checked for a fuse gone havn't you?
    Sometimes a coilpack blowing can blow the management fuse, failing that, Crank sensor is a common fail with no codes

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    Surely if the engine light is on its produced a code? - I'm not an expert i'm just summising
    Nope, all the sensors on the 1.8T engines don't always gives fault codes under a failure condition. Which sucks frankly...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Homer Simpson

Reverse Gear

Status
    Bit of an update on this, the garage are actually saying the scanner will not communicate with the ECU, would anyone have any idea why?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    Bit of an update on this, the garage are actually saying the scanner will not communicate with the ECU, would anyone have any idea why?
    Simple things like, they have got the ignition on?
    Homer Simpson

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yes correct procedures have been followed, we have had 3 guys look at the car. No one with VAG.com but I dont think this is the issue, their scanners have all said they should read an S3 but dont.

It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!

Status
    I had this problem with my A3 and Revo. It wouldn't talk to the ecu at all!

It is possible that a coil pack could've gone down or the timing has gone out. I stumbled across a fault on VAGCOM last saturday that said instrument cluster not sending signal to ecu (immobiliser!!). Get it on VAGCOM and see what it pulls up buddy.
    JAFFASPORT - 2001 Facelift, 218/237/216bhp AMK, Absolute Red, Thrashed to Death, Car Park Dents Everywhere, Kei Flux's, Knackered Shocks, Scuffed Rear Bumper and in need of a good Hoover!!

BLACK EVO BEATER -2001 Facelift, 349bhp AMK, Ebony Black, Blue Seats, 4 Wheels, Brakes, Exhaust, Headlights, Sh!t loads of boost and up for sale!

RGV 250N - Bloody fast and loads of fun........I get wet a lot when it rains....

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    ECU fuse?

Post up your location, someone might be nearby with a vagcom cable that can have a look for you.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Reverse Gear

Status
    I am in Bordon GU35

Status
    Also heard of a recent fault where the ECU had been buggered about with and wiring had been damaged.
    Homer Simpson

Reverse Gear

Status
    When you say buggered about with do you mean remapped or actually tampered with? I really dont think this has anything to do with Angel Tuning, they have done 3 cars of mine and this is the first to have a problem, it has also been mapped for a couple of months before it broke down. Its strange how it started running on 3 and drove fine (all be it on 3) until I managed to pull over and turn the car off. Then it wouldn't start at all.

If anyone close to my location has VAG.com I am happy to pay for some of their time, I am becoming a bit of a burden on my workmates catching lifts all the time!