Audi A3 1.8T Quattro Buying Help

Dunn

Reaction score
Hey guys following on from my thread in the welcome section

i thought it would be wise to post now in the relevant section :)

ok so the audi a3 1.8t sport 150 bhp and the quattro 180 version

are they good cars? pros and cons? common faults? etc

is the engine good for high miles when serviced well? turbo life good? just general help really

whats mpg power like after a remap on both the above models

i was looking at the diesel but the 1.8t quattro is the same to insure somehow

i have 3-4k to spend really but i could hold out for the right model if my girlfriend lets me use her mini for a while (look in welcome thread for my crashed clio 172)

thanks in advance :)

i have searched and couldnt find a buyers guide?

if you know of one can you forward the link? :)

Gutted im in pain but at least it brings an oppurtunity to own a new car

:) silver lining and all that

:) yep, did you meet another car or did something jump out at you?

I used to own a A3 1.8T, here she is

Photo-0084.jpg

Lol

i was going the opposite way to what the car is facing now

slipped on the corner and span and ended up sideways into the tree and hedgerow

Nice A3 not a fan of the purple ;)

Last edited:
i loved my A3, i had a 1.6 golf GL prior to it so it seemed really quick in comparison. The only problems i had with it was that the air bag control unit stopped work literally about 50 miles after i'd bought the thing, but i dont think this is common, hope not, there expensive to replace. Also I had to have the bushes replaced, it had done around 85-90K i think. Basically I loved it.

The cause of my accident :); somebody pulled out in front of me when i was going at 60mph, so i went to overtake and then he decided he wanted to pull over to the other side of the road, right across me as i was going past him at 60 :) rolled 3 times

Another good thing about the Audi... nice strong roof!

Ouch thats a shame about that

well i think either way it will be in need of a remap i gather that is common on here

bushes replaced well thats fine, my lecturer is an audi master tech so will hopefully get alot of help with things on it from him

An interesting thought is; although the quattro has more power it is also heavier. A non quattro 1.8T will be able to keep up with the quattro due to less weight and will give a more exciting drive particularly if you decide to get a remap. However I had an a3 quattro in all the snow last year and it was spot on, didn't get stuck once and if you wanted to have a bit of fun the back end steps out in a brilliantly easy to manage way. It really depends on which you want it for.

Aside from that make sure the ones you look at have had a cambelt and water pump change, look for bubbling on the roof rails and signs of corrosion on the bottom of the doors, check the engine warms up to 90 and stays there, you shouldnt really get any wheel spin on an a3 quattro unless really pushing it so if it does may be a sign the 4wd isnt working properly aswell as the usual things.

Last edited:
thanks dane for that

i dont mind the fact its heavier, im not interessted in hooning it about for a while as you can imagine

just want something smooth and well built with some comfort but with added tuning possibility when i get out of my "being a wimp" period
:)

am i looking down the right route then with this car?

Yeah mine was a brilliant car, its just worth bearing in mind the differences so you get the car you want. It's a shame you didn't come along a few months earlier my a3 q would have been spot on lol, you should get a tidy example for the money your looking to spend.

I will say I wont be going back to 2wd for the foreseeable future, having 4wd is brilliant. But I did get a case of the green eyed monster for s3's as they drove past.

the 4wd is certainlly appealing its just finding a good example that isnt vastly overpriced

alot are priced just short of s3 money which is ridiculous

Last edited:
my audi a3 quattro is remaped to about 220bhp, and has a cai, goes very well but the map is quite aggressive, feels kinda like all or nothing, i usually get about 25mpg average and thats with a fairly varied driving style?

i had a 306 gti6 before which admittedly was abit quicker through the gears but the a3 is ace in any weather condition with decent tyres(just had a full set of dunlop sportmaxx)

best car ive ever own for sure:)

25mpg doesnt sound great i averaged 37 in the good old clio

i wouldnt mind the diesel just wish it was cheaper to insure

I've had my 2001 1.8TQ for 18 months now and done 20K miles in it.- Now on 104K.

Since my recent TB cleanout and MAF (1st replacement since the car was new I think) I'm pulling about 27 mpg around town on 95 octane fuel, on the motorway at 79mph- 36.6mpg, and on fast A-roads (60mph) about 43.4mpg!

Depends how you drive it- you've got to remember it is turbocharged and four wheel drive.

One thing I would say which is perhaps irrelevant but often overlooked between comparisons between these cars and R32s is front end weight.
I'd be very interested in the front-back balance of the diesel against the straight 1.8T due to block weight- admittedly it's probably negligeable due to the similar capacities and different torque curves but there will be a distinction.
I've replaced all round bushes and anti-roll bars on mine which is probably the biggest legacy problem.

The 4 wheel drive is great- whenever it rains heavy and I'm driving I think "this is what it was made for". If you could find a decent 1.9TDI for your budget- I would go for that. The diesels go on FOREVER.

JimP

i had a 150bhp fwd a3 last year and really didnt like it at all, slow and handled like a dog, got a quattro 180bhp now with a few mods and i love it, people say its a pointless car with the weight of a s3 but not the power or class but its not as heavy as the s3 and you can get it mapped to 210bhp+ easy if you got the k03s version

"not the power or class"

crikey- there must be some right snobs out there!

I'll take the fuel economy and insurance saving thankyou!!

it was on here i read the power or class thing funnily enough!!! lol