And the winner is:

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:

BTW the embossed porsche crest on the seats makes a huge difference, unfortunately the previous owner of mine, even though ticking the no cost option (i think) sport seats didn't spec crested seats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif seems crazy for the relative cost of the option.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sports Seats don't fit me...a common problem for those on the large side accross the shoulders...my shoulders sit on the 'wings' and my spine is not supported...the standard electric seats also go lower...so standard seats for me.
As you say, Sports Seats are n no cost option.

I agree aout the embossed headrests...it's a nice touch!

[ QUOTE ]

I also wished it had red seatbelts! Its a bit black inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

I chose that...
I toyed with both red and yellow belts...and yelow centre console...but decided on a bright colour like that, I'd stick with black inside but added the aluminium handbrake and gearlever to brighten things up...and have a sunroof to be able to open and let some light in.

[ QUOTE ]

In all honesty, yours is the sweetest looking C4S i've seen, the kit, the colour, the spoiler, the wheels awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks nervus...I am somewhat biased, but I think it's the best I've seen too...it would be a bit sad if it wasn't though really, given the 'blank canvas' I started with!

[ QUOTE ]

Nice change from the other 99% of C4S' silver cars with mobile phones stuck on the dash

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was advised to go for: Silver, Black, Dark Blue or Seal Grey...I like Seal Grey...but it's not very 'look at me!'. Unlike Speed Yellow.
Apparently the above colours hold their value better...but that wasn't a consideration for me...I HAD to have Speed Yellow. No other colour was even considered!

[ QUOTE ]

You'll wince when you see my bling bling wheels! i know i know, unsprung weight!

[/ QUOTE ]

To each their own, nervus...
I'm sure they look great parked outside the local wine bar...etc, etc,.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I guess I just took my purist fetish to the nth level with the wheels on this car...

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
I'd stick with black inside but *** the aluminium handbrake and gearlever to brighten things up...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch, a painful way to brighten things up I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
I'd stick with black inside but *** the aluminium handbrake and gearlever to brighten things up...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch, a painful way to brighten things up I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Time for a quick edit...
Do you think I got away with it?

NNNnnnnnooooooooo!

I wanted one of those...
This is so unfair...

I wanted one to sit next to my boost gauge and cheesy eBay Air/Fuel mixture meter in my faux carbon fibre gauge pod I have recently strapped to the drivers side A pillar.
Whatever will fill the space with...?

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:

To each their own, nervus...
I'm sure they look great parked outside the local wine bar...etc, etc,.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I guess I just took my purist fetish to the nth level with the wheels on this car...

[/ QUOTE ]

Your kinda right, i cant leave it outside winebars! i've tried it once and keep finding myself making up lame excuses to keep checking on it - cant settle! But the wheels are just for the pose! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I really can't tell much difference from the 18" turbo wheels it came with apart from being slightly harsher over bumps and it tramlines slightly more. i feel i will always run out of ability anyway before the car reaches it's handling limit, i've still had the odd moment though!

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
Jeez nervus, you are a bit close to that kerb!

That'd have given me sleepless nights for a month had I got that close!

[ QUOTE ]

I keep forgetting the rear is wider so much wider than the front. I look insane parking up, hanging out the window but with 11" rears its tricky unless you reverse in. The Red looks crap on that pic as the sun was out and it looks faded but is much nicer in the flesh. Incidently have you had any special polish applied glenn? i was introduced to zymol a couple of years ago and it really protects the finish! I've got the standard rims back on now as they are probably better for bad conditions, not that it'll be going far!

Must admit, yellow and red were both colours that I would have avoided (if i had the money!). But I think both your cars look awesome! Going some way to opening my colourfully challenged mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

If your going to spend that much on such a beautiful car, then wy wold you get a dull, reserved colour... Just doesnt make sense! you HAVE to be seen!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:
Incidently have you had any special polish applied glenn? i was introduced to zymol a couple of years ago and it really protects the finish! I've got the standard rims back on now as they are probably better for bad conditions, not that it'll be going far!

[/ QUOTE ]

I use good old elbow grease, and as pure a carnauba wax as I can find!

I've heard good things about Zymol though...and Swissol's 'Zufenhausen' wax...so I may try them in time.

Are your standard wheels & tyres any narrower than your bling wheels?
I know my GT3 rears are 11".

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
If your going to spend that much on such a beautiful car, then wy wold you get a dull, reserved colour... Just doesnt make sense! you HAVE to be seen!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my reasoning too Rich...

Most C4S's seem to be is subdued colours...I wanted loud....in exhaust noise and colour.
I guess I wanted it to be noticed! Sad, I know...

I may never be in the position again to spec one (new house coming next year...big mortgage....argh!), so it just had to be yellow for me!

A bit late but CONGRATS Glen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif, it looks real nice.
I'm just a little bit jealous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.... but just a little bit ok... ?

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
it's a matter of personal opinion and think the total opposite

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
Sad, I know...

[/ QUOTE ]

No.. not at all! Sweet looking and i dont doubt, even sweet sounding should not be hidden!

[ QUOTE ]

I may never be in the position again to spec one (new house coming next year...big mortgage....argh!), so it just had to be yellow for me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Make the most of it i say! Most people dont get in a position to be able to buy such a car, and even fewer get into a position to buy such a car again! Really is a once in a life time purchase for most i'd say.

Rich

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but duller color I suppose would attract less attraction and envy from f`ing w`kers who think its ok to key a car.

Nervus and ess

On the subject of wheels, this is what i know

996 GT3 is based on the bodyshell of the Carrera 4 (not standard carrera) and therefore there is no offset difference.

2nd Gen 996 GT3 standard run on
Wheels = 8.5 x 18in (f) , 11 x 18in (r)
Tyres = 235/40ZR18 (f) , 295/35ZR18 (r) - Michelin Pilot Sport N1

996 Carrera 4S standard runs on
Wheels = 8 x 18in (f) , 10 x 18in (r)
Tyres = 225/40ZR18 (f) , 285/30ZR18 (r) - Pirelli P Zero Assimetrico

and just for you porsche fiends out there

996 Carrera GT3 RS
Wheels = 8.5 x 18in (f) , 11.5 x 18in (r)
Tyres = 235/40 ZR18 (f) , 295/30 ZR18 (r) - Pirelli PZero Corsa

Also ess_three out of interest would be good to see how heavy the wheel/tyre combo is on your 4S, compared to stock 4S...do you think you're saving much? or was it a pure looks issue? Also given the above info since you said

"I've never found a Pirelli I can get on with...
Nor a Michelin."

...some time ago, have you had the 4S specially put on Toyos?...or are you having to give them a go (what have you got by the way if they are stock...michelin or pirelli?)

Oh just to add...great choice all round...will you EVER change again?

Martin

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
evotista said:
Nervus and ess

On the subject of wheels, this is what i know

996 GT3 is based on the bodyshell of the Carrera 4 (not standard carrera) and therefore there is no offset difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not strictly correct...the Mk2 GT3 is based on the Carrera 4 shell - which is a 'thin' body shell...unlike the C4S whicj has the Turbo, or 'wide' body.

The offset 'might' be different between the two, in order to fill the arches...I've not checked yet...so I can't say.

[ QUOTE ]

2nd Gen 996 GT3 standard run on
Wheels = 8.5 x 18in (f) , 11 x 18in (r)
Tyres = 235/40ZR18 (f) , 295/35ZR18 (r) - Michelin Pilot Sport N1

996 Carrera 4S standard runs on
Wheels = 8 x 18in (f) , 10 x 18in (r)
Tyres = 225/40ZR18 (f) , 285/30ZR18 (r) - Pirelli P Zero Assimetrico

[/ QUOTE ]

C4S can come on Pirelli, Michelin or Bridgestone. I've seen them all in the local OPC over the last few months - all new...no rhyme or reason to what's fitted to what car.

Later C4Ss have 11" wide rear wheels with 295/30/18s as standard.

GT3s also run the same width of wheel and size of tyre.

N rating tyres are fitted to all Porsches...N1, N2, N3 etc

[ QUOTE ]

Also ess_three out of interest would be good to see how heavy the wheel/tyre combo is on your 4S, compared to stock 4S...do you think you're saving much? or was it a pure looks issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've not weighed them yet...

They are apparently lighter - but I don't know how much - and they are stronger. Flow formed construction vs cast.

The choice was based on looks, strength and weight...luckily, they are the best option all round!

[ QUOTE ]

Also given the above info since you said

"I've never found a Pirelli I can get on with...
Nor a Michelin."

...some time ago, have you had the 4S specially put on Toyos?...or are you having to give them a go (what have you got by the way if they are stock...michelin or pirelli?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine are Michelin Pilot Sports...not my choice, but they do seem OK...although it's cold and wet, and hard to push them.

I'm sure that somewhere there is a Michelin man and a Porsche chassis expert who say they work...I'll have to truse them and make my own mind up.
Let's just say, they are way better than I was expecting.

[ QUOTE ]

Oh just to add...great choice all round...will you EVER change again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers!
Will I ever change...I had better say no...the other half may be reading!

[ QUOTE ]
James M said:
Awesome Glen that is truly a beautiful car, I'm so jealous

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

My dads mate has a 996 C2 and it has a switch for loud and quiet on the exhaust, does yours have the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that too...
Can't see the need though...why pay all the extra to hear the flat 6 sing, then make it all quiet?

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]
James M said:
Awesome Glen that is truly a beautiful car, I'm so jealous

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

My dads mate has a 996 C2 and it has a switch for loud and quiet on the exhaust, does yours have the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that too...
Can't see the need though...why pay all the extra to hear the flat 6 sing, then make it all quiet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to agree mate, isn't there a negative impact on performance when in quiet mode as well?

[ QUOTE ]

Not strictly correct...the Mk2 GT3 is based on the Carrera 4 shell - which is a 'thin' body shell...unlike the C4S whicj has the Turbo, or 'wide' body.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh i see...i wasn't too sure if 4 shell was "wide" or not...now i know

Off Rennlist

MY04 GT3 Standard Wheels are 18"
Front: 8.5 J x 18 H2, 40.0 mm offset, p/n 996 362 136 05
Rear: 11 J x 18 H2, 63.0 mm offset, p/n 996 362 142 04

Approved Tire Sizes and Manufacturer
Front: 235/40 ZR18
Rear: 295/30 ZR 18
Michelin Pilot Sport2, N2, Directional
Pirelli P-ZERO ROSSO, N4, For specified side only

Also....

"Anyway, I have a brand new set of wheels/tires from an '04 C4S. Fronts 8x18 et 50 / rears 11x18 et 45 with brand new Michelin Pilot Sports (N1)"

So that stock C4S has ET of 45 on rear and et of 50 front. Genuine Mk2 GT3 wheels are ET 63 rear, ET 40 front. There seems to be some debate on rennlist as to whether the GT3 wheels available as an option for C4S, C4S cab etc are the same offsets as genuine GT3 wheels (basicallyu some people think there are two types of GT3 wheel with different offset)...perhaps glen you can clear this up?
[ QUOTE ]

Later C4Ss have 11" wide rear wheels with 295/30/18s as standard

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously this changed from original 02 cars which had 285/30/18s on rear and 225/40..do you know when? Are you running 225/40/18 on front or 235/40/18?

Cheers

Martin

[ QUOTE ]
Robthehungrymonkey said:
Glen, how does your car (with the uprated arb's suspension, lighter wheels etc.) handle compared to a standard car?
Can you remember what the test drive was like?

[/ QUOTE ]

My many test drives were some time ago...and there was a well dressed man from the OPC sat with me...but:

The lowered and uprated chassis should have less understeer than a C4...more like a C2.
Obviously, it's a bit cold and wet to tell at the moment.
Certainly, thus far I can't get it to understeer.

It's fairly stiff, although remarkably well damped..no body roll to speak of so far.
Very precise...feedback overload!

Porsche claim no power advantage with the Sports exhaust, but both me and the other half think my car seems quicker than the others we've driven despite them being fully loosened up - could be the placebo effect due to the noise of the Sports Exhaust though!

My only other observation so far is that it will stick it's tail out under any sort of provocation..I thought the C4 / C4Ss were supposed to be a bit tamer in the wet?
Jeez, I nearly filled my undercrackers on Friday as it decided I needed to learn about big lairy power owersteer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Right, enought of this typing malarky...I'm off to drive it...