Pressure testing a turbo system...

nick4501

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I suspect that I've got a leak in my turbo system somewhere. I've had a bried look around the engine bay and couldn't see any obvious splits in any pipes, so I guess I will have to get it pressure tested.

Questions:

How much is it likely to cost?
How long does it take?
Will a pressure test flag up any problems in the tiny vacume pipes around the intake manifold?

Cheers!

One of the best tests are to use the smoke machine systems that pressures test & obviously smoke shows any leak points.

I see, but still...

How much is it likely to cost?
How long does it take?
Will a pressure test flag up any problems in the tiny vacume pipes around the intake manifold?

£30- £40
half hour, although test takes minutes.

pressure test will highlight any leaks on boost pipework. Due to the nature of oneway valves it wont test any vac pipework behind them.

There is actually a basic setting within vagcom for the 8P chassis which you can enable & it creates a charge air pressure which could help to find leaks, now you would have to check on the 8L if there is also this option, but hey saves making a kit.

Nige, do you know where in Vagcom you can find this, as would like to see if I can give it a go :)

On the 8P it was in engine & a Basic Setting mate, thats not to say the 8L has the same of course, but worth a look, no guarantees.

Cheers Nige, will give it a go when we get a chance...

well today i checked my s3 for faults, its been a while. And im am now getting the pressure drop fault. Rather than taking it to be tested again by the local clowns I have invested in one of these.

can obviously only really test after the aluminium charge pipe up to the throttle body though. Last time I also seemed to have a problem with the check valves (one way valves) sticking, anybody bothered replacing these?