Problem fitting new RS4 replicas

S2KI

Reaction score
Ok, to cut a long story short, I took my 18" RS4 reps to my local tyre place to get them swapped over today. Whilst the guy was trying to undo one of the bolts he said that he could tell that it was cross threaded and he wouldn't be able to screw the bolt back in once he took it all the way out. He said that it could mean a new hub from Audi. Obviously someone has tried to change the wheel in the past and mangled the bolt/hole.

I only bought the car from an Approved Audi delear recently (Smith Knight Fay in Bolton) but they are 250 miles away from me. Should I ring them up and tell them that i've tried to have the wheels changed and found out this problem? Knowing Audi, they'll try to blame it on the tyre fitters even though they never took the bolt so it cant be their fault.

Other option is to take it to my local Audi garage and ask them to change the wheels round. When they find out about the bolt, I can plead innocent and tell them i've just bought the car from an approved garage and have never changed the wheels before (which is the truth). Only problem is, they charge a wheel change as a 30 min job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif so it will cost £57 to do this.

Any ideas guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It might be worth ringing Smith Knight Fay and speaking to them about it (without mentioning where you're thinking of taking it of course (until you get the impression they're willing to help)) ...As to be honest I've always found Smith Knight Fay to be quite helpful. -I live in Preston and work in Bolton, and I ALWAYS ring SKF before Preston Audi - I've not actually had either of them carry out any proper work on the car, but SKF have always been very forthcoming with information, advice and assistance.

I can't see them being unreasonable about it.

Best of luck!

Rob.

take it back to the dealer and raise hell if they talk about charging you

just to cover your own back say that YOU tried changing the wheel to clean it or something and not another garage - just in case they try and say its the liability of the other garage

I wish I could take it back to Smith Knight Fay to sort out, but they're 250 miles away from me. To be honest, i'm sceptical about telling audi that i've been anywhere near the wheel. Knowing the way they work, they'll try to put the blame on me and say I cross threaded the bolt.

I really dont want to pay my local dealer £60 to change the wheels just for them to find out about the bolt, but I dont see what else I can do.

It really sucks that I cant just approach Audi and tell them what i've been told without the fear of them shirking responsibility, but I guess thats the world we live in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You dont know what they will do until you talk to them, I cannot see that it will be any problem for them to sort the problem after all they sold you the car.

Yeah... That's sorta what I was trying to say... Although granted I was about as clear as mud!... I'd get in touch with Smith Knight Fay and put the ball in their court; If you explain the situation to them... That you've found there's a threaded stud-hole on one of your hubs (regardless of how you found it); it's not your doing; and it's an audi approved car - I think they'll be willing to help you get it sorted out - perhaps when if/when they agree to sort it out; you can suggest they call X Y Z Audi and request they carry out the work on SKF's behalf under warranty.

At the end of the day, don't let it worry you - You have found a problem with a Car that's under warranty - it's their obligation to sort it out; and I wouldn't worry about them turning-round and saying it's YOUR fault unless they do, because I really don't think that's likely - I'd be pretty disgruntled if any Audi dealer suggested I was lying, and downright shocked if Smith Knight Fay did - as like I say, they've only ever been friendly and helpful with me and I've only ever spent peanuts there!

Hope you get it sorted out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Regards,

Rob.