Windscreen wiper hitting the bonnet?

maxp

Reaction score
As the windscreen wiper begins its wipe action of moving clockwise (from the drivers' perspective), the nearside wiper blade actually moves the wrong way / backwards, about an inch, hitting the bonnet with a clanging noise, before then going the correct way.

Ive changed the wipers to some others, thinking the originals were the wrong size but it still does it.

Im especially concerned because it has taken some paint off the ridge of the bonnet where it's continuously struck it.

Any ideas anyone?

when the nearside wiper does move clockwise from your perspective does it reach as far across the windscreen as you would expect it to, if its falling short of where you would expect it to be then maybe the zero point of the wiper travel has been rotated anticlockwise (from your perspective)?? I dont know if this is possible though, I would have though that the wiper motors could only be installed in a set position so the zero point was in the correct place.....just a thought

this happened to me. let your wipers reach the furthest they can away from the bonnet and turn your car off so they stop then give it a little tug only move it 1/2" or so.

this happened to me. let your wipers reach the furthest they can away from the bonnet and turn your car off so they stop then give it a little tug only move it 1/2" or so.
Give the wiper arm a tug? What will that do? I thought the arms were on splines, wouldnt that put a lot of pressure on them?

but why would that make it rotate the wrong way at the start of the movement?

Ok i've just had a look at the arms, which are definitely at the right position. The blades are also the right size.

All I can think of is it's the motor. It seems to work fine apart from the the whole 'goes backwards at the beginning of each cycle'.

Ive also noticed it goes back further when the wiper is set the 'intermittant' rather than 'fully on'.

Any one got any last ideas before I take it to the garage?