What bushes are worth replacing when changing suspension setup?

Dansmith

Reaction score
Just getting the final prices before I take the plunge, what Bushes would you guys recommend changing while everything is off the car? Any idea of prices? I was gonna go with OEM parts

On the front wish bones I have used the solid rubber TT/S3 (A3's come with voided bushes and Audi have been known to fit voided ones to the S3..) for the rear bush in the arm and powerflex in the front..

Not done the rears so can't really recommend anything based on personal experience but assuming you have an S3 then I have heard that the rear wishbone/arm bushes can benefit from powerflex bushes...

<tuffty/>

Thanks, i was going to pm you to ask because i remember you'd done something like that. Is it the rear bush on the front arm that comes in different sizes or the front one? Also, assuming dan is still going with B8s and H&Rs, with a 25mm drop there's don't need to worry about the ARB on the drive shafts is there? And should the drop links be renewed?

I did both front wishbone bushes and new top mounts a few weeks ago. Well worth it imo. Tightened it up no end.

...Is it the rear bush on the front arm that comes in different sizes or the front one? Also, assuming dan is still going with B8s and H&Rs, with a 25mm drop there's don't need to worry about the ARB on the drive shafts is there? And should the drop links be renewed?

Its the front bush of the front wishbone that can be one of two sizes... 1999/2000 was the change year IIRC but should be obvious if you have a look under the car as the bigger ones have a big bit of alloy in the middle whereas the smaller ones are just rubber...

ARB's that connect to the wish bone with links are problematic when lowering IIRC as the driveshaft can hit them... can't say for sure as its not something I notice too much with the cars I have worked on but if you have ARB's that link from the suspension strut/damper then you will be fine.. that said I don't think 25mm is going to cause a problem, its when you wind coil overs right down to 40mm or more that its becomes an issue...

I renewed my drop links as I wanted too... you don't have to but probably worth checking for play in them as you have it all apart... you will need to undo one end at least to release the loading as they won't move much at all while connected even if they do have some play in them...

<tuffty/>

thanks Paul, i didn't know that some drop links connected to the wishbones and others connected to the struts. Mine connect to the strut and i was looking at it yesterday thinking how can lowering it cause a problem with the drive shafts... now i know :)

ok, so another question in light of this info, I am guessing that the billy B8s will have a mounting point on them for my drop links?

It's the 2wd suspension layout that causes issues on lowering iirc, the arb kinda loops around the driveshaft.,

The B8's will have the mounting points you require

if you changed them last year they should be fine then shouldn't they? Have you got OEM ARBs?

i asked the question about the rears recently and still havent got a conclusive answer, so priced the lot up from stoke audi using the Etka chart.... approx £150 so far but awaiting price for the rear upper arm bushes as they have priced me for a whole new arm for £80 odd quid

Replacing my rear springs and shocks tomorrow at Awesome GTI. Going to get them to have a look at the front as well, as I will replace the front shocks and springs in the near future, but get them to replace all bushes this thread suggests at the same time!!

Drop links are being done tomorrow as well. So presume that will only leave front and rear bushes on the front arm?

well, i will be, i am having all shocks, springs and ARBs replaced, seems a bit silly not to connect them to the car with new bits