Chris NottAH Fabrications

Thread: All Steamed up

2nd Gear

Status

All Steamed up

And no it aint whatcha think it is..

On these cold mornings for some reason the A3 is getting a lot of condensation on the inside of the windscreen. The full demist does work but it takes ages ( and by ages I mean it wasn't clear in the hour it took to drive in this morning). It seems the car turns off the aircon when the temp is below 5c, which is great if I don't wanna cool the car.. but not so good if I wanna demist the windscreen.

Two questions.. is it just the aircon being off thats causing the window to mist up ? If it is .. is it possible to use VAG-COM turn this functionality off ?

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status

Re: All Steamed up

I dont have aircon yet, but I assume you want to use it to 'dry' the air and so reduce the condensation? I wouldnt imagine you can switch this off as I guess it is designed to prevent the condensor from literally freezing if used at temps of less than 5c. I take it all the carpets are dry? Have you tried to check for any error codes on the display incase a flap isnt opening correctly etc.

2nd Gear

Status

Yeah carpets are all dry .. There aren't any error codes on the display, but I haven't got access to VAG-COM to check codes on that.

My old mx-3 used to have similar problem with misting up when the aircon was off. But turning on the aircon briefly used clear it up.

Does anyone elses aircon switch off with the climate control below 5c. I can't physically turn mine back on again at temps below 5c as soon as push the button to turn it on it turns itself back off again.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Status

Khufu has the cause spot on.

The air con works by cooling the condensor to about 2-5 degrees in order to extract the moisture from the air. When the atmospheric air is 5 degrees or below the condensor is working at it's maximal efficiency, so the compressor is switched off. Run it when the outside temp is <5 degrees and the system will freeze and block.

No point whatsoever in overriding the system, you'll just break the aircon..

2nd Gear

Status

Thx for the replies... guess I'm left to just wiping the window clear of condensation.

5th Gear

Status

One thing I thought of, if you use the aircon, the water in the air will condense. So the condenser (i think that is the one) behind the dashboard will be wet. If you then go to your car and put the demister on it will mist up as it will reintroduce that water back into the air!

I just only have the aircon on once a week for 10 minutes so that I don't have to re gas it in the summer!

2nd Gear

Status

Mines part of the climate control so comes on automatically .. I can switch off the air con part but its a hassle remembering every time I use the car [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

it will remember the setting when you re satrt the car. all you have to do is leave it on auto, and press the compressor button and it will be off all the time.

Reverse Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    ajmackie said:
    it will remember the setting when you re satrt the car. all you have to do is leave it on auto, and press the compressor button and it will be off all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should run the air con reguarly though because working the system means it stays lubricated. I had a friend with an A4 and the previous owner hardly ever used the aircon; the system seized. Was quite pricey to fix too.

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    ajmackie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope it switches the compressor back on every time..

2nd Gear

Status

if you turn the compressor off on the little iceicle then it will not come back on!

take a side trim off and ust stick your hand under the carpet and check to see if it is wet or not, you may have a leaking pollen filter housing. or a heater rad leaking are you loosing any coolant?

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    foolish3uk said:
    if you turn the compressor off on the little iceicle then it will not come back on!

[/ QUOTE ]

If I turn the engine off the icicle will come back.

2nd Gear

Status

yes it will, but if you turn the icecle off manually then it will not!