A3 1.8t agu part throttle hesitation

bengal

Reaction score
Hi all as the title says im getting slight hesitation and jerkiness on part throttle more so below 2000 rpm it pulls great after this. The car has new maf , cts , all the usual culprits etc. I have replaced the dv and breather valve by the dv which were due as the higher rev range is perfect now its just the low end which is annoying as im usually in traffic 90% of the time so the car is sitting in this rev range lol. When i changed the fuel filter a few weeks ago the fuel coming out of it was black the same on the previous two so my tank has alot of dirt in there is it possible that the pickup on the fuel pump is dirty which could cause this problem. Sorry for not listing all that has been done but i have replaced or done all the usual things but feel free to suggest anything thanks for reading.

i've had the same problem for a year or so, still can't suss it out. i hope we find a solution!!!

what fuel do you use???? had something like it a while ago, and just on the off chance, decided to treat mine to a tank of v power!!!! not done it since, never looked back, runs so much better!!!! may be worth a try???

not sure but my garage done something to mine and its alright now. not sure what they did exactly but he said he reset it.

found this mate if u have vagcom. must be what my garage did:

Procedure for performing a Throttle Body Alignment on Cable-Throttle Cars:
These are cars with a physical cable between the accelerator and the throttle, but WITHOUT an ISV.

Turn the key on but do not start the car.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 098 (Note: Some SIMOS or Marelli ECU's use Group 001 such as ADY & AEE engines)
[Go!]
[Switch to basic settings]
Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.
[Switch to Meas. Blocks] button and you're all set.
Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!

Sorry its late i didnt have emails set up properly so i thought nobody had replied then i come back on and see loads of replies lol. I did the adaptation and it solved it pretty much but my brakes are binding as well which is causing some of this too but i can sort that out thanks for all the replies.

what fuel do you use???? had something like it a while ago, and just on the off chance, decided to treat mine to a tank of v power!!!! not done it since, never looked back, runs so much better!!!! may be worth a try???
I did this a while ago when i went to blackpool i filled up with tesco momentum but solely for the cleaning properties in the fuel to clean the system out after the tank full it runs alot better now probably crap in the injectors. Didnt solve the hesitation though but thats mentioned above.

really you should always clean the throttle body first before performing the basic setting.

0I had same problem,I changed the amplifier on the airbox never had a problem since,but this was after my jumping to all things to change,full servise,air maff,slick 50 fuel cleaner,throttle body clean and adjust,but a simple fix in the end :) Good old reserch button;

I have the same problem with a facelift fly by wire i think , what is the airbox amplifier L3WJX sorry for a silly q but im new too the car and new to turbos ?

I have the same problem with a facelift fly by wire i think , what is the airbox amplifier L3WJX sorry for a silly q but im new too the car and new to turbos ?

The ignition amp is on the agu engine. Wont be on yours as you said yours dbw the amps are built into the coilpacks have you done the throttle body adaptation as this could be the problem.

airbox amplifier also known as ignition control module or just ignition module. is a metal sensor thing which sits in the airbox on AGU engines.

The ignition amp is on the agu engine. Wont be on yours as you said yours dbw the amps are built into the coilpacks have you done the throttle body adaptation as this could be the problem.
no m8 this is news to me what do i need to do to it, is there a link to show what needs doing ?

Look at the top of this thread it tells you how to do it you have to have registered vag com though. Also make sure the throttle body is clean before you do it. If you havnt got vag com there will be somewhere who can do it and wont cost much.

it needs cleaning first, as this is why the ecu starts learning the wrong idle and part throttle positions.
a ring of carbon builds up around the throttle closed position meaning the throttle valve motor has to winden the throttle valve idle position slightly to maintain the correct idle speed and fuel air adjustment. the ecu cant work it out, this causes hesitations and other minor running problems

I've just had a similar problem slight hesitation and small misfire. Call AA out and I have no spark on number 3 but coil packs are working fine. Continuity test done and power to all coil packs so he suspected the amplifier. Have you any idea of cost of a new amplifier please. So I can see if I need to get it to garage if its expensive as I don't want to go down the process of elimination route. If it's £20 or so then it's only 5 min job to do. I don't want to spend silly money only to find out it something else
Cheers guys a quick reply would be great :thumbsup:

Before you go replacing the amp clean the electrical contacts first as this could be the problem you will need a small sharp knife or sandpaper also try some electrical contact grease in the connection after cleaning as i did this and it works a treat keeps moisture out of the connection you will also need heat paste that is used for computer cpus this goes between the amp and the surface it is attached to to help disperse heat from the amp both of these can be bought at maplins. The amps are around £70 from eurocarparts so you want to know its definately dead before spending that kind of money lol. Hope this helps.

Cheers for that I don't intend to rush out and buy one. I'll get it down the garage so my mate can have a look at it. Drive it steady tho as I don't want to ****** it up