Buying an A3 TDi Quattro

andy2

Reaction score
Right, made up my mind, going to get an A3 1.9tdi Quattro (8L) and not an S3.

When I looked into S3 running costs then they were too steep - particularly as this will be a second car to put lots of work mileage on (and I already have a 220hp Fiat Coupe Turbo to look after - which will be garaged for the winter once I get the A3). Just can't justify the cost of a second fast car and however much I like the S3's there's no way I can bring myself to sell the Coupe right now, particularly given its fabulous condition, growing rarity and the expense of a recent new cambelt.

Going to look a Tdi Quattro on Saturday. Anyone owned one of these and could give some pointers on what to look out for?

Andy

I could be wrong, but from reading the Haldex can be quite expensive to service and replace parts for. If its just a winter run about. Why not just get a non quattro tdi? This way you'll have less costs, cheaper car to buy, better mpg, less weight and more usable power.

I recently bought one and I absotuly love it. Not sure I can help much though as Im not an expert. It helps having a full service history. And try make sure the cambelt has been changed when needed. Also ask to see if the haldex oil has been changed during ownership.

If your planning on getting it remapped the quattro will be a good move , those tdi engines kick out some serious torque and without quattro traction would be a nightmare. It would still give good economy too. I believe the haldex system needs an oil change every 20,000 miles , and a filter change at 40,000 miles.

Cheers
Sean.

by the fwd tdi, the quattro will hurt your mpg

if you dont care about mpg, then buy an S3

Quattro still good on mpg - 45+mpg compared to the S3's 30mpg. Insurance and tax is a lot less too. Would love an S3 but in reality it wouldn't be great as an economical mile muncher. That's why I've decided on the Tdi Quattro. Also considered a B5 A6 Avant too but it's too big really for what I need, and the Quattro only does 35mpg.

Quattro is a must since I'm planning trips to the highlands of Scotland this winter and as part of my job I occasionally have to conduct site surveys in the middle of random fields.

Wish I bought a A3 Quattro now after selling the S3 and buying a LCR Diesel

Seen some good ones on pistonheads, will you have any plans for it in way of mods

Saying that does anyone fancy a swap.... My 05 Leon Fr Tdi for a A3 1.8T Quattro??