Coils Packs? Visible Diagnostics

Add7

Reaction score
Is there any visible evidence that a coil pack has gone??

I think mine has but wanna double check?

Also....can just one go or do they all go?

and finally..how do you know which one?

Thanks

No visible check AFAIK. You'd need to check it with a multimeter for resistance etc.

You'll know if its gone as the engine will run badly.

What you can do is disconnect the ignition lead from the coil pack one at a time. If the engine runs no worse with a lead disconnected then it would suggest that that coil pack has gone. This worked for me - but it was for an engine with a single coil not individual coil packs.

thanks HTC & dog.

HTC - Yeah the engine is running as though it has no turbo and it stinks well badly of eggs??? didnt know whether it was the coil packs of MAF??

dog - Sounds like an idea that il prob make a right mess of. lol! but hey, worth a try. thanks

Problem with unplugging things on modern egine is you will cause a load of error codes.

Its probably in Limp home mode at the mo.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while to reset the ecu yet??

no not yet.

if it goes ok after doin this?

does that mean its the maf or coils?

Its a bit of a lottery if you don't have access to VAG-COM.

It could be any number of sensors causing the problem if it is in limp home.

Reset the ECU, and then if is idles [censored] straight away, it could well be a duff coil pack. But you won't know which one.

You could buy just one from Audi and start swapping it around and see how you go.

But to save you time I would get the fault codes read/cleared and then drive it for a bit and then get the codes re-read. This would then tell you exactly where the problem lies.