Help needed Urgently - car won't start

Brooksy

Reaction score
Website
www.rackmire.co.uk
I noticed this morning the car took longer than normal to start up around 3 seconds from instant.
Did the same leaving work, filled up with petrol on the way back as it was near empty then started up perfectly. So I got home and left t for a bit now it's not turning at all. As if it might be the battery as it's not turning? When I turn te ignition to try and start up the needles(on the dash temp and petrol needles) flicker and go back to normal.

Anyone know what the problem is?

I turn the ignition and I just get a clunk. No ticking noises. I'v got a lift to work tomorrow so will check it out. Thanks. I'll keep u guys updated for extra advice.

Tried the car again still same issue but something new happened. My battery light came on on the dash. So obviously not being dumb here but the battery might be dead because I've tried starting the car a few times.
I dunno. Sucks as just had the car serviced aswell as 4 brand new tyres. Guess it comes in 3's.

Hopefully it's just the battery. Will prob just get the AA out after work to see if they can test it. (after I try and jumpstart it. ) - if it starts then the starter motor would be fine yes?
Sorry about ***** spelling. Using the iPhone at the moment.

If its not even turning but only intermittantly it could be a bad/ corroded earth.
Ive had starting issues for a while now but the battery always used to turn the starter. Now my battery is ****** due to excessive load while starting. So new battery, coolant temp sensor, earths and pretty much a whole new PCV system going into it over the next few days to try and sort this buggering starting issue once and for all!! For me things come in fives or sixes!!

Yeah a few people have said this to me. I've looked at the battery negative and it's relatively clean. Not sure on the other end though. The battery looks like it's been replaced before as the one before looked like it leaked due to excess amount of dried battery acid around the holder/ engine bay.
Just tried this morning with no luck. Even the petrol pump noise doesn't happen now due to not enough power.

If you can't hear the fuel pump click in it could well be that.

I had the same issue a few months back, car drove all fine got home turned it off went in side, came back out and the damn thing wouldn't start. VAG it came up with nothing check all the battery, fule pump fuse and everything else. Finally called out the recovery truck, the guy came out tried to turn it and straightaway said the fuel pump - got it changed and all was good.

****...Could be the fuel pump alright. The wire that carries power to the starter from the battery has a tendancy of going also. Might be worth a poke. Hope you get it sorted.

I really don't think it will be the fuel pump as ive heard it engage last night everytime I turned the key. Just this morningm as i think there is just very little juice left in the battery to engage it...

Getting it looked at in the enxt hour or two.. so hopefulyl have an answer then..

Problem Solved

Managed to get the car jumpstarted from the help of a friend and drove to a local garage. Tested battery with multimeter and the guy said the battery isn't holding it's charge. Said alternator is running fine and charging. Happy Days. £60 spent and a new battery later and all sorted.

Thanks everyone for your input. Appreciate it. Now I can make my journey upto Silverstone this weekend to drive a Lamborghini. :D

And then driving back down to earth after silverstone will seem like a bit of a come down in your car !