AH FabricationsBadger5
    Neutral

Status

Help needed Urgently - car won't start

I noticed this morning the car took longer than normal to start up around 3 seconds from instant.
    Did the same leaving work, filled up with petrol on the way back as it was near empty then started up perfectly. So I got home and left t for a bit now it's not turning at all. As if it might be the battery as it's not turning? When I turn te ignition to try and start up the needles(on the dash temp and petrol needles) flicker and go back to normal.

Anyone know what the problem is?

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    have you tried jump starting it? may not be enough charge in the battery cos the bat isn't holding charge!

Another S3 owner....

Status
    surely the battery sounds knackered ?
    02 plate - 2002 - 225bhp - S3 - Ming Blue - completely standard - nuff said, OK there's a centre armrest, sunroof, BOSE speakers & black leather recaros, oh and the non OE chrome pack !

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    or a loose earth/connection try put your lights on, if they dim badly when starting it could be the battery

Neutral

Status
    I turn the ignition and I just get a clunk. No ticking noises. I'v got a lift to work tomorrow so will check it out. Thanks. I'll keep u guys updated for extra advice.

Neutral

Status
    Tried the car again still same issue but something new happened. My battery light came on on the dash. So obviously not being dumb here but the battery might be dead because I've tried starting the car a few times.
    I dunno. Sucks as just had the car serviced aswell as 4 brand new tyres. Guess it comes in 3's.

Hopefully it's just the battery. Will prob just get the AA out after work to see if they can test it. (after I try and jumpstart it. ) - if it starts then the starter motor would be fine yes?
    Sorry about ****e spelling. Using the iPhone at the moment.

1st Gear

Status
    If its not even turning but only intermittantly it could be a bad/ corroded earth.
    Ive had starting issues for a while now but the battery always used to turn the starter. Now my battery is cooked due to excessive load while starting. So new battery, coolant temp sensor, earths and pretty much a whole new PCV system going into it over the next few days to try and sort this buggering starting issue once and for all!! For me things come in fives or sixes!!

Neutral

Status
    Yeah a few people have said this to me. I've looked at the battery negative and it's relatively clean. Not sure on the other end though. The battery looks like it's been replaced before as the one before looked like it leaked due to excess amount of dried battery acid around the holder/ engine bay.
    Just tried this morning with no luck. Even the petrol pump noise doesn't happen now due to not enough power.

6th Gear

Status
    If you can't hear the fuel pump click in it could well be that.

I had the same issue a few months back, car drove all fine got home turned it off went in side, came back out and the damn thing wouldn't start. VAG it came up with nothing check all the battery, fule pump fuse and everything else. Finally called out the recovery truck, the guy came out tried to turn it and straightaway said the fuel pump - got it changed and all was good.
    Jester
    "On my second S3 and loving it. RS3 here I come!!!"

1st Gear

Status
    Arse...Could be the fuel pump alright. The wire that carries power to the starter from the battery has a tendancy of going also. Might be worth a poke. Hope you get it sorted.

Neutral

Status
    I really don't think it will be the fuel pump as ive heard it engage last night everytime I turned the key. Just this morningm as i think there is just very little juice left in the battery to engage it...

Getting it looked at in the enxt hour or two.. so hopefulyl have an answer then..

Neutral

Status
    Problem Solved

Managed to get the car jumpstarted from the help of a friend and drove to a local garage. Tested battery with multimeter and the guy said the battery isn't holding it's charge. Said alternator is running fine and charging. Happy Days. 60 spent and a new battery later and all sorted.

Thanks everyone for your input. Appreciate it. Now I can make my journey upto Silverstone this weekend to drive a Lamborghini. :D

Another S3 owner....

Status
    And then driving back down to earth after silverstone will seem like a bit of a come down in your car !
    02 plate - 2002 - 225bhp - S3 - Ming Blue - completely standard - nuff said, OK there's a centre armrest, sunroof, BOSE speakers & black leather recaros, oh and the non OE chrome pack !