S3 in the Snow & Snowboards

andy2

Reaction score
Considering an S3 at the moment as a more practical alternative to my current Coupe.

I will be using the S3 in the winter for a trip down to the Alps, and hopefully several trips up to Glencoe and Aviemore in Scotland. I've heard that the quattro system takes up quite a lot of space and will reduce bot space (over the standard A3). Has anyone else managed to get a snowboard (or 2) inside their S3 without having it hanging over the gearstick, or without having to put the front passenger seat forward (it's likely that someone else will be sitting there)?

I know I could get a roof box but ideally I'd rather have stuff inside the car.

Also how does the S3 do on the snow? Is the quattro system effective even with normal road tyres?

I'm a skier and its pretty useless for carrying my ski's but then again they are all 190cm + i reccon upto a 160 snowboard you would have no problems!boot isn't big tbh but i reccon u could get 3 peoples gear in with the seat down and still be fairy comfortable!

Haven't driven mine down to the alps as some of my friends have more economical cars but I would love to drive some of the roads just after chambry in it :)

I cant say if you snowboard's will fit in the back but i can do some measurment's for you if you like??

In regards to driving in the snow, back in Feb when we had the heavy snow the S3 was a breeze to drive, I had to pick someone I work with up everyday because they live in an area where no gritting is done, there was a pile (and I mean a pile) of cars at the end of her road where all the 2wd cars could not grip and all slid off at the same place. The S3 took it upon its self to turn to 4WD mode and eaisily negiotiated the corner, all the locals were scratching their heads thinking "why can he get out when we cant" lol

i use mine to go snowboarding i have a burton 162 and it fits in buy just putting down the rear single seat, i also have summer tyres and thought it drove pretty well in the snow,

And just for the record, the S3 boot is exactly the same size as the A3 fwd boot...

Nope, the S3 has a raised boot floor to accomodate the rear transmission, so not as deep.

Oh right, I never noticed any difference coming from my A3 to the S3...

If there is a difference it can't be a lot.

It won't be as deep in the s3, but surely it'll be the same length. Which is where carrying snow boards come into play.

I would say forget the s3 if you wanna drive trough snow and get a b5 a4 1.8 TQ Sport instead. It has a TorSen drivetrain and its full time AWD not Haldex based like the s3 wich is part time AWD. I had driven a few golfs 4Motion (the same Haldex quattro) and there is no comparison between the Haldex quattro in the golf/s3 compared with the Torsen quattro.

Thanks guys, sounds like it should be okay.

Just out of interest is the 8L A3 1.9 TDi Quattro based on the Haldex or TorSen systems? What about the C5 A6 Quattro, Haldex or Torsen?

All Quattro A3s are Haldex based :)

For what it's worth, my S3 was great in the snow... until it got stuck that is... Mind you I was trying to climb a steep road and having Eagle F1s on made it all the more difficult. Fortunately my mate lived up the road and his dad came and towed me up with his G-Wagon. :)

My point: It's not invincible in the snow. With the right tyres (winter) it would be a damn site more useful.

I was up in the Lake District last Christmas, and was driving happily around in my S3 in 8" of snow. The only downside was the front spoiler acting as a snow plough, which scratched a bit of paint, and the oil sensor plug popped off once.

Was on standard wheels and tyres, and had no real problems at all. Has some great fun with low speed drifting round car parks too
smilie.png

Cheers,

Thanks guys, sounds like it should be okay.

Just out of interest is the 8L A3 1.9 TDi Quattro based on the Haldex or TorSen systems? What about the C5 A6 Quattro, Haldex or Torsen?

C5 audi a6 is propper Torsen, 50-50% split of torque across axles. I have a b5 quattro and a c5 avant quattro both with AKE 180Bhp engine. Great fun on snow/ice, never got stuck. Its stopping wich can be a problem as the ABS keeps buzzing away. The c5 has ESP as well wich is great on slippery roads but i preffer the b5 more as its soo easy to controll without any traction aids...

Nothing wrong with the haldex in the snow. Much better than 2wd.

ive been to glenshee with the snowboards in the back. biggest one i have is a 160cm. you might have to put the front seat forward an inch or two if you dont want your boarding slicing your upholstery. Its fine for two people maximum i'd say. by the time you fill the boot with boards boots and clothes etc there isnt much room left. A3 boot is definately bigger than an S3. Subwoofers etc take up space in the back.
The S3 is fine in nice fresh snow. Its when it freezes overnight and becomes hard thats when the S3 will struggle as it doesnt have the ground clearance. The front bumber seriously does act like a snow plough lol

.... lovely fresh snow is a breeze though, and seriously good fun ;-)

yup great for snow, not invincible but as long as your realistic and drive in accordance with the conditions.....

and as above, the boot is at least 5 inch deeper in the A3.....my dogs now touch the roof when they are in the back of the S3, good excuse to use the misus A3 ;)

0 out of 10 for my observational skills then... Lol

dont worry mate, we already have you down as disabled, you have a Jabba map :)

I pulled my dad's Renault Traffic van out of a snow drift with my S3 last winter :)

I know they look strange, but have you considered roof bars to strap the snow gear instead of stuffing it in the car?

Yup, i've had all mine and my sons snowboarding gear in with plenty of room spare... but i'd consider buying roof bars for the next trip, it'll save any abuse to the interior next time!

Whenever I head off to the snow (in Australia), Its typically me, +1 and 4 kids.

the S3 isnt quite capable of that, so we rent a 12 seater minibus, which is still chocablock, when you throw in 6 bags, plus 6 snowboards etc etc etc.

(I just need to wear a balaclava and dark glasses so nobody recognises me driving it!!)

I would say forget the s3 if you wanna drive trough snow and get a b5 a4 1.8 TQ Sport instead. It has a TorSen drivetrain and its full time AWD not Haldex based like the s3 wich is part time AWD. I had driven a few golfs 4Motion (the same Haldex quattro) and there is no comparison between the Haldex quattro in the golf/s3 compared with the Torsen quattro.

It's not part time AWD in that the rear wheels always have around 5 - 10% power going to them in normal motorway conditions to reduce temperature and wear on the components, so they are being driven you just dont notice it. The Haldex, as I understand it works on a rotational difference so different tyres sizes and weight distribution can effect the power transfer.
As a sidenote I hear the new RS3 will be using Haldex too...

you should try roofbars for your boards and the rest of your gear in the boot, well thats what im doing this year. bought roofbars for the mountain bikes in the summer, i think the s3 look strangely cool with the bike rakes on the roof!