Which LED bulbs do i need for my rear number plate????

S3 Paul

Reaction score
As part of a freshen up for my car i have been thinking of trying some of these LED bulbs to make the rear look a little more modden
Can anybody tell me which ones i need and where they have had them from ?

Direct fit bulbs are BULB Number 239's (you need 2) HTH.

Search LED 239 bulbs on the bay.

So is ebay the only option?
I would rather deal with a shop but will ebay if its the only option...

P1010733.jpg

239 36-39 mm Long - by Ultra Leds U.K

Had mine in for a couple of years now, not had any issues with them. Bit dearer but they are very bright, i have the festoon with the 3 flux leds, now they have a 6 led option, these must be awesome!

I can recommended Ultra Led's top stuff. More money but you get what you pay for.

On a similar vane, one of my number plate lights fell out the other day. Figured I'd swap to LEDs while I was at it. Problem being, I need to get the plastic holders too (the other one is loose it transpires). I'm guessing the best place to get replacement ones is direct from Audi?

Maybe stupid question, is there a guide? Can't find one on search!

Maybe stupid question, is there a guide? Can't find one on search!

It's easy...

Open the boot lid half-way, and you will see the lights with two philips (X) screws on each side of both lights. Undo one set of screws at a time and use a flat screw driver to pull the plastic lens with the bulb out.

Lol doesn't suprise me at all. I saw an s3 a about a year ago that had really bright number plate lights, at the time i had an a3 and tried a number of different ones but could never find any that looked as bright as his.

I know a few of the vauxhall guys round my area put side lights in theirs, seem to be pretty bright.

i would sooner keep my number plate as unoticeable as possible;)

Sandip how did you fit one of those 239? I thought they were 501 type bulbs? The small bulbs? I'll strip mine out tomorrow to see!

Sandip how did you fit one of those 239? I thought they were 501 type bulbs? The small bulbs? I'll strip mine out tomorrow to see!

Definitely 239's are the ones you need - just fitted mine a few days ago - makes a huge difference to the tired old yellow lights. Thanks sandip!

Now for some euro number plates....

Definitely 239's are the ones you need - just fitted mine a few days ago - makes a huge difference to the tired old yellow lights. Thanks sandip!

Now for some euro number plates....

No worries bud, get a pic up, they work really well on lighter cars:)

Regular, i think it's the 8P's what have the issue with the bulb warnings on the number plate bulbs because of the difference in voltage

I can confirm there is no warning on number plate bulbs. One of mine is missing at the moment :)

Need to source a couple of replacement plastic holder refracting things. No idea of their correct name!

Bringing up a topic again, can anyone recommend a bulb for the Numberplate lights?
I bought 4 bulbs a while ago and only got round to fitting then about 3 weeks ago...to both my S3 and my Gf's Ibiza. 3 out of the 4 bulbs have blown.

I understand you get what u pay for, and tbh i didnt pay much. So im looking for a bulb thats recommended by you guys.

Thanks In advance :)

Bringing up a topic again, can anyone recommend a bulb for the Numberplate lights?
I bought 4 bulbs a while ago and only got round to fitting then about 3 weeks ago...to both my S3 and my Gf's Ibiza. 3 out of the 4 bulbs have blown.

I understand you get what u pay for, and tbh i didnt pay much. So im looking for a bulb thats recommended by you guys.

Thanks In advance :)

may i direct you to this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-i-need-my-rear-number-plate.html#post1081831